York Castle MuseumCurrently Open [Closes at 05:00 pm]
- Address: Eye of York, York YO1 9RY, United Kingdom
- Timings: 09:30 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +44-1904687687
- Ticket Price: 9 GBP
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Specialty Museums
York Castle Museum isn’t just going to show you the past - it’s going to let you be a part of it. The museum stands on the site of York Castle, built in 1068 by William the Conqueror. The present edifice used to be a Debtor’s Prison and the museum has used this disturbing detail to its advantage.
York Castle Museum covers major segments of English history in a creative fashion that makes for an absolute sensory delight. In different sections of the museum, visitors get to see, smell, hear, taste and touch the world as it used to be. There are rooms designed to showcase life and culture in different periods of English history. You will see Edwardian dining rooms, Victorian walkways and kitchens from the sixties all under one roof.
- Kirkgate – Walk down the mock up for a Victorian street. You can walk into the shops and sample the luxurious fabrics and traditional pastries offered to you by actors in Victorian garbs. Take in the aroma of a culture and society long lost…including the pungent smell of horse shit and public lavatories. Aren’t we glad times have changed?
- Prison Cells – Witness the hologram projections of prisoners who were incarcerated for petty crimes and now narrate their sad tales to you
- The Sixties – The visual design, patterns and colours of this section present a brilliant mock-up of the Sixties in Britain. A functional jukebox, a Lambretta scooter, record players stocked with Beatles hits are some of the popular features here.
- Toy Stories – The toys in this collection have been entertaining kids for over 150 years. See if you can point out something that looks familiar.
'When the World Changed Forever’ – From June 2014, York Castle Museum has a new attraction. Marking the hundredth anniversary of the First World War this year, the museum will show you a peaceful pre-war era before taking you into the morbidity and gloom of the frontline and the immense changes it brought into the country’s daily life.
The York Castle Museum is a must visit attraction in the city of York of United Kingdom. It provides an interesting insight into the English history with its various artifacts and exhibitions. Because of its high popularity, it is better to buy tickets for York Castle Museum in advance and not waste time in lines. York Castle Museum tickets can be bought here and for checking the York Castle Museum ticket prices please refer to the tickets section. Tickets for York Castle Museum are easily available online.
- The museum is a popular spot for school field trips. Visitors might find it crowded and noisy due to this.
- If you have a York pass, you can enjoy a 10 per cent discount in the museum cafés
- Some sections of the York Castle Museum cannot be accessed in a wheelchair.
- Disabled friendly restrooms are available.
- Visitors who have a York Pass get free entry.
- The pass is valid for a year.
- Entry is free for wheelchair users + 1 accompanying person.
- Concessions on ticket prices are available
- Tickets are not charged for children (under 16 years old) in a group
- By Bus: Tower Street (TA) – 3. Clifford’s Tower – 42, 181.
- Postern Gate
- Masons Arms
- The Olive Tree
- Quinii’s Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in York before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in York and book an accommodation of your choice.
77.1% of people who visit York include York Castle Museum in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
85.14% of people start their York Castle Museum visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see York Castle Museum
70.59% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting York Castle Museum
We love this museum. It's a fantastic idea for a family day out. Out favourite bit is an old English street with old shops and houses. It really gives you an idea what life looked like back then. The street looks and smells real.You can buy old fashion sweets there too. Great place to visit 👌👌👌
Great Museum, thoroughly enjoyed it. Myself, Wife, and children aged 14 and 11 all really enjoyed our few hours here. Nice little cafe area, fascinating facts to be found, especially enjoyed the WW1 exhibit which was on during our visit. Great value too as the children under 16 were free with paying adults. Highly recommended.
It’s a must do - what a fabulous afternoon we had. Staff really helpful and full of knowledge.very cool to get to walk through a re-created Victorian street and get a sense of the world back in those days.
Really good museum suitable for children and adults. We had not been here for many years and it really did not disappoint. Not too expensive either.
Really enjoyable with lots to see. We only did half and saved the rest for another visit. The York Museum Trust card is good value and gives unlimited access to 3 museums for 12 months. The Victorian street now has smells to match the scenes and guides in character. The collection of Vivienne Westwood shoes within the exhibition 'Shaping the body' was wonderful!