York Castle Museum, York
About York Castle Museum, York
York Castle Museum, York - Address, Phone Number, Ticket Price
Address: Eye of York, York YO1 9RY, United Kingdom
Ticket Price: 9 GBP
Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
Timings: 09:30 am - 05:00 pm Details
Added 5K times in trip plans
Art And Culture, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Specialty Museum
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
York Castle Museum isn’t just going to show you the past - it’s going to let you be a part of it. The museum stands on the site of York Castle, built in 1068 by William the Conqueror. The present edifice used to be a Debtor’s Prison and the museum has used this disturbing detail to its advantage.
York Castle Museum covers major segments of English history in a creative fashion that makes for an absolute sensory delight. In different sections of the museum, visitors get to see, smell, hear, taste and touch the world as it used to be. There are rooms designed to showcase life and culture in different periods of English history. You will see Edwardian dining rooms, Victorian walkways and kitchens from the sixties all under one roof.
- Kirkgate – Walk down the mock up for a Victorian street. You can walk into the shops and sample the luxurious fabrics and traditional pastries offered to you by actors in Victorian garbs. Take in the aroma of a culture and society long lost…including the pungent smell of horse shit and public lavatories. Aren’t we glad times have changed?
- Prison Cells – Witness the hologram projections of prisoners who were incarcerated for petty crimes and now narrate their sad tales to you
- The Sixties – The visual design, patterns and colours of this section present a brilliant mock-up of the Sixties in Britain. A functional jukebox, a Lambretta scooter, record players stocked with Beatles hits are some of the popular features here.
- Toy Stories – The toys in this collection have been entertaining kids for over 150 years. See if you can point out something that looks familiar.
'When the World Changed Forever’ – From June 2014, York Castle Museum has a new attraction. Marking the hundredth anniversary of the First World War this year, the museum will show you a peaceful pre-war era before taking you into the morbidity and gloom of the frontline and the immense changes it brought into the country’s daily life.
The York Castle Museum is a must visit attraction in the city of York of United Kingdom. It provides an interesting insight into the English history with its various artifacts and exhibitions. Because of its high popularity, it is better to buy tickets for York Castle Museum in advance and not waste time in lines. York Castle Museum tickets can be bought here and for checking the York Castle Museum ticket prices please refer to the tickets section. Tickets for York Castle Museum are easily available online.
York Castle Museum Information
- The museum is a popular spot for school field trips. Visitors might find it crowded and noisy due to this.
- If you have a York pass, you can enjoy a 10 per cent discount in the museum cafés
- Some sections of the York Castle Museum cannot be accessed in a wheelchair.
- Disabled friendly restrooms are available.
York Castle Museum Ticket Prices
- Visitors who have a York Pass get free entry.
- The pass is valid for a year.
- Entry is free for wheelchair users + 1 accompanying person.
- Concessions on ticket prices are available
- Tickets are not charged for children (under 16 years old) in a group
How To reach York Castle Museum by Public Transport
- By Bus: Tower Street (TA) – 3. Clifford’s Tower – 42, 181.
Restaurants Near York Castle Museum
- Postern Gate
- Masons Arms
- The Olive Tree
- Quinii’s Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in York before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in York and book an accommodation of your choice.
York Castle Museum, York Reviews - Write a Review
Well worth the price. I was amazed by how smooth the transition between exhibits was and how much they managed to fit in these buildings. The recreated street is definitely the most prominent part of this museum though, with displays in every single nook and cranny. Helpful, useful and enthusiastic staff further the experience. Lots of interactive exhibits making it quite a family friendly place, though it can get quite busy the museum is so large its not too hard to find somewhere without a crowd.
This museum is the best that you can get for a tenner or so. Loads to see, do, smell and experience. Even better than last time. It's a really impressive place - leave a couple of hours. The Victorian Street is completely awesome. Only sad thing is we missed the cafe as it was shut by the time we finished and it looked gorgeous. Next time!
It's a great place for a day out with the family. Many things to see and do a very interesting place. They have a replica street with all the shops sounds and smells from the past. I would highly recommend a visit if your having a day out in York.
Wonderful visit to an incredible collection of history about, and beyond, York. Based in a pair of ex-prisons, the buildings themselves exude history and the displays put you right in the middle of the past through many eras. There's enough here to view and 'hands-on' exhibits to engage and inform all ages. Very reasonable prices for entry and fantastic staff, many of which are in period dress and character. I would recommend a trip here to anyone.
Plenty to see and do with a varied and interesting focus about our history. Worth the money and takes a few hours at least to go around. The staff are friendly and helpful!
- Nearby Attractions
- Park Inn By Radisson York City Centre
- The Lamb & Lion Inn
- Middletons Hotel
- York Brewery Ltd
- Ambiente Tapas Restaurant
- All Saints, Pavement
- St. Martins Church
- Micklegate Bar Museum
- Shambles Kitchen
- Caffe La Tazzina
- York Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in York
- What to See in 48 Hours in York
- What to See in 72 Hours in York
- How to Spend 5 Days in York
- How to Spend 6 Days in York
- How to Spend 7 Days in York