York City Walls, York
York City Walls, York - Address, Phone Number
Address: Micklegate, York, North Yorkshire YO1 6JX, United Kingdom
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 09:00 am - 05:30 pm Details
Added 5.8K times in trip plans
Walking Area, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Architecture
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About York City Walls, York
Who needs pavements when you can walk the city walls?
Present day York had been, since time immemorial, a walled area to protect it against invaders. In the beginning, there were the Romans – the original walls were built around 71 AD. Since then, every occupant of this beautiful city has either torn down the labour of his predecessor or upgraded it.
Today the York City Walls are 3.4 km long and still bear the rare remnants of its Roman past. Ideal for a long walk on a sunny day in the city, the walls have four main gatehouses namely BoothamBar, Monk Bar, Walmgate Bar and Micklegate Bar (don’t get any ideas, ‘Bar’ happens to be an archaic term for gate). The gatehouses served as medieval toll booths and at that point used to be the only entrances into York. Each has a fascinating story attached to it andmakes for very popular tourist spots.
- Visitors will find small museums and cafes along the wall path. As you discover York through its old city walls, take in its scenic beauty including a lovely view of the York Minster.
- If you are interested in the Wall’s Roman history, a few remnants from that period have been well preserved in the Wall circuit such as Multangular Tower in the Museum gardens, north east and north west sections between Bootham Bar and Monk Bar and a few other places.
- Guided tours and personal audio guides are also available for the visitors. Both and the Walls.
If you need a breather from all the walking, many of the towers in your path have seating spaces where you can rest and enjoy the view.
York City Walls Information
- The walkways are steep and narrow in some parts. Leave the stilettoes at home for this one.
- Take care of the young ones as you walk – some sections lack hand rails.
- This one will be difficult for those with limited mobility.
- Not suitable for wheelchairs and pushchairs.
- The circuit is not covered. Carry a jacket and/or umbrellas in case it rains.
York City Walls Ticket Prices
- Entry is Free.
York City Walls Opening and Closing Hours
- If you wish to complete the entire circuit of the city walls, it will take you about 2 hours.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in York before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in York and book an accommodation of your choice.
York City Walls Tickets And Tours
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best best of York