York MinsterCurrently Closed
- Address: Deangate, York YO1 7HH, United Kingdom
- Timings: 07:00 am - 06:30 pm Details
- Phone: +44-1904557200
- Ticket Price: 10 GBP
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Cathedral
York Minster - Review
The city of York has had a long, eventful association with Christianity that was established as early as the 4th Century.
The York Minster was first built in 600 AD but as power changed hands in York, the cathedral went through the unfortunate incidents of fire, destruction time and time again. It wasn’t until 1472 that the Minster was remodelled and completed in the form it stands today.
The Cathedral is the largest of its kind in Europe and adorned with elaborate designs and sculptures reflecting the finest Gothic artwork.
Exploring this ornate and majestic structure is such a pleasurable experience! The West Window of the Minster was constructed in 1338 and contains the ‘Heart of Yorkshire’. Legend has it that any couple that kisses under this window will stay together through eternity. The Rose Window of the York Minster is a hallmark of Gothic Design across Europe.
- The cathedral has a fine collection of beautiful stained class, some almost 900 years old. The glass you see today was imported from Germany to be stained and assembled here. All of the millions of pieces of stained glass were taken down during the two World Wars and later reassembled.
- The underground chambers of the Church are open for visitors to explore. Here you can still see the Roman foundations of the church. Interactive displays give you access to information about influential people associated with the church and its prized artefacts.
- Climb the cathedral tower! Climb the 275 steps of the central tower to get to the highest point of the city.
- The cathedral often holds special events for families and children during the summer months. It is an absolute delight to hear the Minster Choir perform.
- ‘York Minster Revealed’ – will give you an insight into York of the Dark Ages through a collection of materials discovered during a 2012 excavation. The Orb showcases some of the finest examples of Europe’s stained glass work.
The carillon of bells at the Minster is obviously put to good use for church service, but it is fairly common to hear popular tunes emanating from the cathedral before Evensong commences. The York Minster makes for an intense and enigmatic experience for one and all.
York Minster Information
- Disabled friendly access and restrooms available.
- Wheelchairs are available.
- Facilities are available for visitors with hearing and visual impairment.
- The 275 steps of the Central Tower make for a narrowand exhausting climb.
York Minster Ticket Prices
- Tower Tours cost £ 5.00 per person
- Concession on ticket prices is available.
- Entry is free for accompanying children.
- Ticket includes a guided tour, entry into the Orb and Revealing York Minster attractions.
- Your ticket will be valid for a year.
How To reach York Minster by Public Transport
- Bus: Lord Mayor’s Walk – 19, 30, 40.
- Monk Bar – 12, 13, 13A, 16A, 19, 90, 180, 181
Restaurants Near York Minster
- Ambiente Tapas Restaurant
- Plunkets Restaurant
- Cafe Rouge
- Cote Brasserie York
- Goji Vegetarian Cafe and Restaurant
- Bengal Brasserie
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in York before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in York and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting York Minster
83.17% of people who visit York include York Minster in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
81.82% of people start their York Minster visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see York Minster
54.33% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting York Minster