Visit Yosemite National Park - Best of Yosemite National Park
Removed, rugged and ravishingly beautiful, the Yosemite National Park is both a US National Historic Park and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Magnificent and imposing granite cliffs, incredibly diverse flora and fauna, mystical waterfalls, giant trees, and miles and miles of beautiful hike trails – this is USA’s version of Avatar’s Pandemonium. The idea of preserving this park began quite early, in the mid-19th century to address the need for supporting a large amount of flora and fauna in the Sierra Nevada region, and today the park welcomes 4 million visitors annually. Geologically, this place is young – only 10 million years old. Ice ages in the subsequent periods sculpted the valley with massive, slow-moving glaciers.
Visitors ought to note that weather in Yosemite National Park varies greatly with elevation and can change dramatically in a very short period of time. Still, the park is incredibly accessible – most of its sites can be accessed by either foot, shuttle or even bicycles. During winters you can even ski. Camping and lodging at the park is possible if proper permission is taken from the authorities.
Yosemite National Park Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Yosemite National Park tips for your visit
- Use the obvious trails while hiking or climbing.
- Keep to the trails as laid out by the NPS.
- Check out the Ansel Adams Gallery and the Yosemite Museum.
- Don’t litter.
- Do not camp overnight at the base of any rock face.
- Do not attempt BASE jumping – it’s illegal at the park.
- Know where the nearest medical centre is. There’s no telling when you need medical attention in the woods.
- Try not to leave any scraps of food behind. Yosemite enjoys a rich population of bears and those bears tend to follow the scent of any food left behind by campers. Though they tend to avoid human confrontation and often raid empty trailers, a face-to-face with a bear should definitely not feature on your to-do list.
- When you’re hiking, make some noise to let the wildlife of the park know you’re coming. They aren’t exactly fond of confrontations too. Don’t underestimate any wild animal you see and never ever feed them or try to tame them.
- If you’re going to move about after dark, carry a flash light. Yosemite National Park believes in reducing light pollution and leaving the Park and its inhabitants to their own devices at night.
- Pack well for the weather. The weather cycles in the Park has typical weather attributes so if it’s winter or summer, pack accordingly.
- When on hikes, try not to stray away from the designated pathways. They’re there for a reason, so stick to them. This includes the waterfalls- don’t get too close to them or try and swim near them. The current of the water is likely to sweep you away before you know it.
Are you looking for a Yosemite National Park travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Yosemite National Park Tourist Information
Yosemite National Park Itineraries
100 Views5 Days 4 Nights5 Day Trip to Yosemite National Park from Montreal
Yosemite National Park Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Yosemite National Park
Save 6%Yosemite National Park and Giant Sequoias Trip from San Jose2 Reviews
Duration: 14 Hrs
Experience the wild beauty of Yosemite National Park from San Jose in just one day. After a guided tour to the gates of Yosem...
Save 6%Yosemite National Park and Giant Sequoias Trip1456 Reviews
Duration: 14 Hrs
Experience the wild beauty of Yosemite National Park from San Francisco in just one day. After a guided tour to the gates of ...
Save 13%Yosemite National Park Day Trip from San Francisco365 Reviews
Duration: 13 Hrs 30 Mins
Exchange the big-city charms of San Francisco for the fresh air and natural beauty of Yosemite, California's most famous nati...
Save 4%4 Day Sierra Nevada Tour of Yosemite and Tahoe from San Francisco6 Reviews
Duration: 4 Days
The ultimate Sierra Mountain adventure! Spend 4 FULL DAYS hiking & exploring some of the lesser-traveled areas of Yosemit...
Popular Hotels in Yosemite National ParkView all Hotels in Yosemite National Park
More about Yosemite National Park
The Scariest Stairs In The WorldClimb up these scary stairs across the world. You might wanna watch your step as you climb up the scariest stairs in the world!
Last Minute Weekend Getaway Ideas For FamiliesWondering what to do on your next Weekend with family? Here are some weekend getaway ideas which have adventure, leisure or pure fun for kids and adults alike.
10 Most Dangerous Hiking Trails Around The WorldIf you're an adrenaline junkie and nothing can possibly scare you, why not give it a go and check out these dangerous hikes that are bound to give you shivers!