El Capitan735 Votes Currently Open
El Capitan is famously seen on the quarter dollar coin of US and is the source for naming the Apple Macintosh operating system. However, its sheer adventure-sport pulse is one that truly puts it on the global map.
Standing at a majestic height of 7,573 feet above MSL, the El Capitan’s beauty is magnified by its recreational use by avid rock climbers- some even timing the number of days it takes for them to climb the formation! The first person to ever get to the top of the mountain was Warren Hardin in the 1950’s- having taken over 47 days! However, John Long, Jim Bridwell and Billy Westbay ascended The Nose in 1975 in one day!
Needless to say, El Capitan is one of the best known places for hiking, solo climbing, free climbing, speed climbing, base jumping and photography. If you are feeling adventurous, there is simply no better place than the Yosemite to pump up your adrenaline!
El Capitan Travel Tips
- Carry bottled drinking water and food with you.
- Do wear sturdy shoes for the hike and carry any other necessities that you may need.
Entrance Ticket Details For El Capitan
Admission Fee for the National Park:
- Individual (on foot, horseback, or bus): USD 15 for 7 Days
- Motorcycle: USD 15 (USD 20 starting in 2016) for 7 Days
- Automobile: USD 30 April – October; USD 25 other months for 7 Days, Yosemite National Park
- Yosemite Pass (automobile): USD 60 for 1 Year, Yosemite National Park
- America the Beautiful National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass (automobile): USD 80 for 1 Year, all US National Parks and Federal Recreation Areas
- Senior Pass (automobile): USD 10 (Lifetime, all US National Parks and Federal Recreation Areas, only for US citizens or permanent residents 62 or older)
El Capitan Hours
- The Yosemite National Park is open 24 hours for 365 days.
- Do note that the time spent at El Capitan depends on what activity you choose.
- You can call the office from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm Pacific time (closed for lunch).
How to Reach El Capitan
- Bus: at Camp 4, Yosemite Valley (10.14 kilometers away)
- By renting a Car/Bike to reach the park.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Yosemite National Park before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Yosemite National Park and book an accommodation of your choice.
19.66% of people who visit Yosemite National Park include El Capitan in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
44.93% of people start their El Capitan visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
11 Hrs 30 Minutes
People usually take around 11 Hrs 30 Minutes to see El Capitan
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting El Capitan
El Capitan Reviews & Ratings
Really amazing, especially after seeing Free Solo. There's supposed to be great view, but we couldn't find an elevator. We saw some people climbing up, maybe they were really desperate to get to the restrooms.
Watched Free Solo. Had to see this in person. The sheer scale of this thing, in person, is amazing. Easy to get to by car. There’s a large field across from it where we spotted 6 deer. The deer are so used to people being around they just walked by like a next door neighbor.
The iconic El Capitan (The Chief) stands tall and majestic making us the humans humble against the great nature. The granite rock is monolithic and so huge. Paradise for climbers giving them lot of challenges to mastery the art of climbing. The trail leading to the rock is beautiful. One can just stand and see this beauty for hours !
Amazing mountain and brave souls who climb it . Bring binoculars if you want to see climbers on this enormous mountain.
El Capitan is an impressive mountain inside Yosemite National Park. It’s very popular for climbing but also very dangerous as it’s very steep. Some people may guess where the name of an older Mac OS system came from....