Changuu Island159 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Off Stone Town, Zanzibar, Tanzania
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Phone: +255-777890052
- Ticket Price: 35 USD
- Time Required: 05:00 Hrs
- Tags: Island, View Point, Family And Kids
Changuu Island, also known as Prison Island, was used as a prison for slaves of the Arab merchants. Late in the 19th century, an architect Lloyd Matthews built the impressive prison on the island. It was also used as a quarantine centre for yellow fever epidemics. Some of the extra buildings constructed during this time were converted into guest houses to boost tourism. Another reason toruists flock to the isle is due to the giant tortoises present on the island. They lay eggs which are protected by the local authorities. If you are visiting the island, you can also have a chance to play with these gentle beasts. Underwater lovers can snorkel in the clear blue waters.
Changuu Island Travel Tips
- The tour rates include snorkelling charges, boat ride, mineral water charges, luggage and tour guide costs.
Entrance Ticket Details For Changuu Island
- For 50 USD, you can get lunch on your visit to the island.
How to Reach Changuu Island
- The island is accessible by boat. It can be explored on foot.
- There are flights available from Dar-es-Salaam and Pemba.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Zanzibar before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Zanzibar and book an accommodation of your choice.
15.56% of people who visit Zanzibar include Changuu Island in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
31.94% of people start their Changuu Island visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 5 Hrs to see Changuu Island
85.07% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Changuu Island