Are you looking for what to do in Zanzibar?
THINGS TO DO AND SEE
Zanzibar has a multitude of sightseeing options that can tempt every visitor. Of these, the beaches are the main attraction. If you are not too much of a beach person, fret not. There are many land activities that are just as much fun. Do not forget to check out the subtle charm of Stone Town, the most important city on the archipelago. Locals organise tours for visitors, enlightening them about the natural diversity and history of Zanzibar. Try and cover as much as possible on your stay. Each experience is too unique for you to miss.
- Diving: Unguja and Pemba regions of Zanzibar are abundant with coral reefs, making it one of the top spots in the world for diving. There are certified lessons for first-time divers. Warm water throughout the year and visibility of up to 60 metres have made diving in Zanzibar an experience to remember.
- Things to do in Stone Town: Zanzibar’s very own UNESCO World Heritage Site is a wonderful way to spend an afternoon in the archipelago. Walk around the tiny streets of this town to discover its architectural beauty and reminders of the era when Zanzibar was a major trading centre of the world. You can still glimpse it through the bustling markets. Do keep an eye out for the various mesmerising doors in town. Do not forget to check out the Arab Fort.
- Beaches: One of the best things to do in Zanzibar is to explore the beaches on the northern, eastern and southern coasts of the island. The sand here is powdery white, and when coupled with the pristine waters, makes it a magical sight.
- Spice Tour: The climate of Zanzibar makes it ideal to grow a variety of spices on its islands. Head out from the main settlements into the rural areas on a spice tour and discover what it offers. Besides spices, there are a large variety of herbs grown here and the tours give information on them as well. You can make purchases on this tour itself.
- Prison Island Tour: References for Prison Island indicates that it was used by Arab merchants to confine slaves. Today, it is a site for giant tortoises imported from Seychelles. They are gentle by nature and families can play with them for amusement.
- Things to do in Zanzibar at night: Kendwa Rocks hosts a new moon party every month. There is food, drinks, concerts, DJs, acrobats, fire-eaters etc out on the beach and tourists as well as locals enjoy the celebrations. However, there is a high entrance fee for this party.
Below we have a list of things to do in Zanzibar and the places where you want to spend the best moments of your trip. At the same time, the city offers you the best neighborhoods to explore and new foods to try.
This list should help you in deciding and prioritizing what you should plan on your Zanzibar getaway. Find a mix of must-see tourist spots, underrated local hangouts, and maybe even a few new experiences you can try out.
Make the most of your trip to Zanzibar with confidence.