2-Day Takalik Abaj: Mayan And Olmec Archaeological Site From Panajachel
OverviewTakalik Abaj has both Olmec and Maya features, and flourished from the 9th century BC to the 10th century AD. It is one of the largest sites with sculptured monuments on the Pacific coastal plain, and one of the greatest concentrations of Olmec-style sculpture. The site includes a Maya royal tomb and examples of Maya hieroglyphic inscriptions that are among the earliest from the Maya region. The site features a sophisticated water drainage system and a wealth of sculptured monuments. Overnight accommodations are near the site.
- Comprehensive tour of the city
- Once-in-a-Lifetime Experience
- Multi-Day Trip
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
Know More about this tourHotel pick up in Panajachel or at our travel office.
Depart for the Pacific coast in the morning, and drive through several eco-systems. Elevation ranges from 7500 ft. above sea level in the morning to 800 ft. above sea level in the afternoon. Observe cloud forest and a variety of agriculture such as coffee, mango, pineapple, sugarcane, and chichle (rubber).
The drive is approximately 3 hours, so there is time to stop along the way.
Overnight accommodation has a swimming pool, hiking trails, and bird watching areas. Free time to enjoy on your own.
Dinner is on your own.
Travel to the archaeological site in the morning, and spend 3 hours on a guided tour. Entrance fee and translator is included.
Lunch is on your own.
Board the vehicle for a return trip to Panajachel in the afternoon.
Takalik Abaj (Standing Stones) is one of several Mesoamerican sites with both Olmec and Maya features. The site flourished in the Preclassic and Classic periods, from the 9th century BC through to at least the 10th century AD, and was an important center of commerce, trading with Kaminaljuyu and Chocol.
Investigations have revealed that it is one of the largest sites with sculptured monuments on the Pacific coastal plain. Olmec-style sculptures include a colossal head, petroglyphs and others. The site has one of the greatest concentrations of Olmec-style sculpture outside of the Gulf of Mexico.
Takalik Abaj is representative of the first blossoming of Maya culture that had occurred by about 400 BC. The site includes a Maya royal tomb and examples of Maya hieroglyphic inscriptions that are among the earliest from the Maya region. Excavation is continuing at the site; the monumental architecture and persistent tradition of sculpture in a variety of styles suggest the site was of some importance.
Finds from the site indicate contact with the distant metropolis of Teotihuacan in the Valley of Mexico and imply that Takalik Abaj was conquered by it or its allies.
Takalik Abaj was linked to long-distance Maya trade routes that shifted over time but allowed the city to participate in a trade network that included the Guatemalan highlands and the Pacific coastal plain from Mexico to El Salvador.
Inclusions for 2-Day Takalik Abaj: Mayan And Olmec Archaeological Site From Panajachel
- Overnight accommodation
- Transport by SUV, minivan, or coach
- Round-trip private transfer
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (selected hotels only)
- Entrance fees
Exclusions for 2-Day Takalik Abaj: Mayan And Olmec Archaeological Site From Panajachel
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (recommended)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Children must be accompanied by an adult
A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Lake Atitlan: Mayan Ceremony at the Sacred Caves
- Shared Departure Transfer: Panajachel Hotels to Guatemala City Airport
- Half-Day Scenic Bicycle Tour from Panajachel
- Shared Transfer: Panajachel Hotels to Antigua
- Lake Atitlan Lower Mayan Trail Hiking Tour from Panajachel
- Indian Nose Peak and Lake Atitlan Sunrise Tour from Panajachel
- Iximche Mayan Ruin from Panajachel