3-Day Climbing Huayna Potosi From La PazWrite a Review
OverviewJoin the team and get ready to climb one of the biggest South America mountains, Huayna Potosi, which has an elevation of 6,008m!
This trip gives you the unique chance to reach 6,000m. Try mountaineering and get great views of the Cordillera Real!
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- All entrance fees included
- All necessary equipment included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Multi-Day Trip
Know More about this tourHuayna Potosi is a technically easy climb and can be climbed by complete beginners. If you are new to mountain climbing, this 3-day version of the trip is highly recommended so that your guide can show you the basic climbing techniques needed throughout the climb on the included practice day.
Day 1: La Paz (3,600m) – Paso Zongo (4,700m)
We drive from La Paz to Paso Zongo (4,700m). Along the way we have views of Lake Titicaca in the distance and the mountain in front of us. We make a quick stop at an old mine cemetery with Hauyna Potosi in the background. Once at Paso Zongo, we drop our gear off in the hut and have some lunch (all meals on the trip are included). After lunch we will walk to the lower glacier. Once here, the guides will explain and show some basic techniques for ice climbing and mountaineering. We will practice these techniques with the guides and our climbing equipment. Later we will practices ice climbing techniques on small ice walls with safety ropes. We also get to explore the ice on the lower glacier and its formations. After our practice session, we walk back to the base camp where we sleep in a refugio. Cooks will prepare dinner and drinks with snacks.
Day 2: Paso Zongo (4,700m) - High Camp (5,200m)
Today we have a relatively easy day up to high camp. High camp is on a rock buttress at an altitude of 5,200m and at the base of the glacier. The walk up is on a well-used rock path. On the walk up, we can see a long way down the valley with the cloud forest and part of the upper Amazon below. Once at high camp we need to get our gear ready for the next day, as we will have an early start in the morning.We will also have time to rest and re-hydrate. From the hut at high camp, we see the mountain in front of us and the next days are objective. It’s an early night tonight where we sleep in the Refugio.
Day 3: High Camp – Summit (6,088m) – High camp - La Paz (3,600m)
We have an early start in the morning. We will leave around 1am in the morning. It will be cold so we want to dress well. The climb starts on the glacier, so we will start with our our crampons on, and the rest of our climbing gear. The climb is mostly follow a trail on the glacier. We have 2 steep sections, one at around 5,600m, called the Pala Chica. The trail goes through a snow and an ice wall. Once we get through this part, we keep following the trail on the glacier up to 6,000m. Around this time we can see the sun rise on the horizon, and when the first rays hit us, we start to warm up. From this point we can see the summit above as the last section to the summit offers great climbing on an exposed ridge. From the summit we can see from Illimani (6,439m) to Illampu (6,368m). After we take our photos at the top of the mountain, we head back down the same way to high camp. Once back at high camp, we have a short rest and pack our gear. Then we head back down to base camp to meet our transportation back to La Paz.
Inclusions for 3-Day Climbing Huayna Potosi From La Paz
- Professional mountain guide (Spanish speaking with basic English)
- All mountain equipment: Ice axe, double boots, helmet, warm clothing etc
- Meals, snacks, and water for the entire trip
- Private transport to and from base camp
- 2 nights in mountain hostels (base camp and high camp)
- Mountain entrance fee
Exclusions for 3-Day Climbing Huayna Potosi From La Paz
- Thermal underwear (top and bottom)
- Thin liner gloves
- 2 pairs of socks (one thin and one thick)
- One backpack (approx. 50 L)
- Sleeping bag (you can rent from us for 25Bs per day)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
A maximum of 2 people per booking
Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.