3-Day Guided Hike In The Drakensberg Mountains From JohannesburgWrite a Review
OverviewSpend 3 days and 2 nights hiking in the majestic Drakensberg mountains. This 5-star camping experience includes all camping equipment, food on the mountain, climbing fees, qualifies mountain guide and transport from Johannesburg. The Drakensberg has been declared a World Heritage site and ranks as one of the top hikes to do in the world.
The hike covers km over 3 days and sees us reaching an elevation of nearly 3300 metres. The summit offers some incredible views and the entire Northern and Central Escarpment can be seen over 80 km away. The entire Drakensberg is made up ancient spires and rock formations that make the area truly unique. Its no wonder Tolkien was inspired by these mountains when he wrote Lord of the Rings.
- Small group ensures personal service
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Led by a local guide
Know More about this tourDay 1: Shermans Cave in the Drakensberg, 1,200m (D)
Enjoy a complimentary pick up from your hotel at 5am in the morning. Then take the 5 hour drive down through to the province of Kwazulu Natal, home of the Drakensberg Mountains. Once you arrive at the Cathedral Peak Hotel, you will double check equipment, meet the rest of the team and start the hike. The first days hiking covers 5 km and takes us through an incredible valley where the peaks of the soaring Drakensberg can be seen far above. The hike is relatively easy with a few steep sections in the beginning. We spend the night in a cave. Dinner is served at about 7pm.
Overnight: Shermans cave in the mountains.
Day 2: Cathedral peak Summit, 3150m (B, L, D)
Today is an early start. Aim to have breakfast and start the hike by 5:30am. A long day today and the elevation gain is nearly 1000m. The objective is to get you to the highest free standing peak in the Drakensberg, Cathedral Peak.The hike includes a few challenging areas and the final summit attempt involves a bit of scrambling. The ridges to the summit offer some incredible views of the valleys far below as well as the peaks above. After lunch on the summit, head back down to the cave for another night in the cave. A celebratory dinner is served under the starry African skies where the milky way can be clearly seen
Overnight: Shermans Cave
Day 3: Johannesburg (B)
On the final day, make the 5km hike back to the end of the hike. Have lunch at the hotel and drive back to Johannesburg. Back at your hotel by about 6:30pm.
Inclusions for 3-Day Guided Hike In The Drakensberg Mountains From Johannesburg
- 2 nights accommodation in tents in the mountains
- Entrance fees
- National Park fees
- Local taxes
- Breakfasts on the mountain
- Dinner on the mountain
- Lunch on the mountain
- All camping equipment ( tents, sleeping mats, eating utensils)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
Exclusions for 3-Day Guided Hike In The Drakensberg Mountains From Johannesburg
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hiking equipment ( backpacks, clothing, rain jackets, walking poles etc. Option to hire)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately ( equipment list will be sent prior to tour)
Minimum age is 12
Average level of fitness required. Must be able to walk 10 km a day in mountainous environments
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.