OverviewVisit the impressive Rocks of Meteora in a unique way! Go by train to Kalambaka and spend three days discovering the history of the Byzantine Monasteries, which are listed as UNESCO World Heritage monuments.
- Excellent value for money
- Round-trip train fares
- Ideal choice for families
Know More about this tourTake the train to Kalambaka in the morning from the Athens Railway Station, and enjoy a trip that will give you the chance to admire the beauty of the countryside. An English-speaking driver will be waiting you holding a signboard with your name on it and will transfer you to your hotel in Kalambaka.
In the afternoon, meet your guide in order to visit the unique places and sites around Meteora. See places off the beaten path that only locals know and enjoy amazing views while you learn the true history and traditions of this astonishing place. You will also have the chance to visit the 1,000-year-old Badovas hermitages built inside caves and the old Byzantine church dedicated to the Assumption of Virgin Mary in Kalambaka — the most ancient monument of this region. Later, take in unique panoramic views from the most scenic spots in Meteora and capture one of the most amazing sunsets you could ever imagine.
The next morning, meet your guide in the hotel lobby to visit the two main monasteries of Meteora and discover the natural beauty and cultural heritage of this area. This half-day morning tour will take you back to the Dark Ages and the story of the first hermits and monks who laid the foundations of what would became the monastic community of Meteora. Learn which monastery was the first to be established and the true motivations behind the monks’ decision to try to climb the steep rocks of Meteora.
On the third and final day, you will have all morning at your disposal. In the afternoon, your driver will transfer you back to the Kalambaka Rail Station. The train departs from Kalambaka at 5:22 pm and arrives back in Athens at 10:15 pm.
Inclusions for 3-Day Meteora Tour By Train From Athens
- Overnight accommodation in 3- or 4-star hotel (based on your choice)
- Breakfast and dinner in the hotel
- Local guide on both half-day tours
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Round-trip rail tickets
Exclusions for 3-Day Meteora Tour By Train From Athens
- Entrance fees of the monasteries
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off in Athens
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
A few days before the activity, you will receive an email with the train e-tickets
To enter the monasteries, appropriate clothing is required. Women should not wear short skirts and must have long sleeves. Men are not allowed to wear shorts
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.