You will leave the Inca capital of Cusco at 4 a.m. an have a 5-hour drive northwest across the Anta Plateau to the town of Chachora, the starting point of the hike. Enjoy greatviews of the glacial mountains of Salkantay, Humantay, Pitusiray, Chicon, and Veronica from the windows of your private vehicle, as well as fabulous views of villages, valleys, and frost-topped mountains.
This is the most difficult of the five days. After an early breakfast, climb a steep path. After about five hours of trekking you reach Raqaypata, next to the Chunchullomayo River, where you stop for a late lunch and a greatly merited break. The afternoon trek is not as steep as the morning, and along the way we see an array of orchids, wild flowers, and birds. After hiking two hours more, you reach the archaeological site of Choquequirao in time to appreciate the sunset and maybe see condors flying by. We set up camp just outside the ruins in the cloud forest.
Today is devoted to investigating the marvellous ruins of Choquequirao, considered the other Machu Picchu where the last Inca Tupac Amaru was raised among Inca preistesses. The guide will tell you all about its history and the value of this site, and then you will have free time to explore the many areas of the complex. Late in the afternoon, start the return hike and camp the night at Raqaypata.
After breakfast, continue the return hike with a steep plunge toward the Apurimac River where you stop for lunch. In the afternoon, ascend for four hours to the final campsite at Coca Masana.
On the last day of hiking, you will observe the canyon that forms the Apurimac River. You will then take a new path that traverses the throat of the canyon with an extraordinary vista of Wayna Qalli towards the canyon, thought of as the most impressive in South America. Reach Cachora with a return bus to Cusco.
- Mobile Voucher Accepted
- Hotel pickup Available
- Duration: 5 Days
Departure Time :
Departure Details :
Return Details :
Cancellation Policy : This activity is non-refundable
OverviewEqually ancient and impressive as Machu Picchu, the Choquequirao ruins are far less visited than their more-popular neighbor. Avoid the crowds without skimping on the history on this 5-day trek through the Andes into theChoquequirao ruins. This tour includes all meals and lodging as per itinerary, and also includes pack animals to assist with baggage.
- Excellent value for money
- Flexibility to customize your itinerary to your own preferences
- See native wildlife in their natural environment
- Small group ensures personal service
- All entrance fees included
Know More about this tour
- Pre-trek briefing
- Early morning transfer by private bus to Cachora - the initial point of the trek
- Accommodation: Campsites (4 nights)
- Entrance fee to the Choquequirao
- Meals: 4x breakfast, 4x lunch, 4x dinner and 3x afternoon hot beverages
- Professional bilingual Tour Guide
- Professional Cook
- Muleteer and horses to carry food, camping and cooking equipment and 7 kg of each passenger's stuff
- Camping equipment: personal double tents
- Inflatable mattress (Term-a-Rest Mattress);
- A sleeping bag (for up to -5C)
- A blanket per person
- A pillow
- Day Pack Rain Covers
- Rain Ponchos
- Duffel bag (for your personal belongings)
- Tables and chairs, a cooking tent with cooking equipment, dining and toilet tents
- A sleeping bag (for up to -5C)
- First aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle.
- Breakfast on day 1 and lunch on the last day
- International and domestic flights
- Personal travel insurance
- Tips to local staff (please note: it is a custom to give tips in Peru; however, it is not obligatory)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 4 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
Minimum age is 18 years
Meal budget: Please allow USD 20-50 for meals not included.
Local flights: No local flights are included in the treks price
Not recommended for participants with back problems
You Might Also Like
- Machu Picchu Private Full-Day Tour from Cusco
- ATV Tour to Moray, Maras and Salt Flat in the Sacred Valley from Cusco
- Machu Picchu in One Day from Cusco
- Machu Picchu Private Guided Tour from Aguas Calientes
- Sacsayhuaman Archeological Park and Cusco Sites
- Private Machu Picchu Full-Day Tour from Cusco
- 4-Day Classic Machu Picchu Inca Jungle Trek
- Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu 2-Day Tour with Hotel from Cusco