5-Day Choquequirao Trek - Cusco
OverviewChoquequirao is a distant and hardly visited "Machu Picchu". The meaning of the name in Quechua is "cradle of Gold". You will enjoy a 5-day trek and admire these great ruins. The ruins were first visited and accounted to the western world during the 18th century. Hiram Bingham also visited the site in 1910 before his rediscovery of Machu Picchu in 1911. The site is relatively detached, though recently there was a footpath built over the Apurimac river to make it more accessible to the ruins. However the ruins of Choquequirao are still not visited much, although with new regulations on the Inca Trail, Choquequirao is fated to substitute the conventional trek as the heavyweight.
- Excellent value for money
- Flexibility to customize your itinerary to your own preferences
- See native wildlife in their natural environment
- Small group ensures personal service
- All entrance fees included
Know More about this tourDay 1:
You will leave the Inca capital of Cusco at 4 a.m. an have a 5-hour drive northwest across the Anta Plateau to the town of Chachora, the starting point of the hike. Enjoy greatviews of the glacial mountains of Salkantay, Humantay, Pitusiray, Chicon, and Veronica from the windows of your private vehicle, as well as fabulous views of villages, valleys, and frost-topped mountains.
This is the most difficult of the five days. After an early breakfast, climb a steep path. After about five hours of trekking you reach Raqaypata, next to the Chunchullomayo River, where you stop for a late lunch and a greatly merited break. The afternoon trek is not as steep as the morning, and along the way we see an array of orchids, wild flowers, and birds. After hiking two hours more, you reach the archaeological site of Choquequirao in time to appreciate the sunset and maybe see condors flying by. We set up camp just outside the ruins in the cloud forest.
Today is devoted to investigating the marvellous ruins of Choquequirao, considered the other Machu Picchu where the last Inca Tupac Amaru was raised among Inca preistesses. The guide will tell you all about its history and the value of this site, and then you will have free time to explore the many areas of the complex. Late in the afternoon, start the return hike and camp the night at Raqaypata.
After breakfast, continue the return hike with a steep plunge toward the Apurimac River where you stop for lunch. In the afternoon, ascend for four hours to the final campsite at Coca Masana.
On the last day of hiking, you will observe the canyon that forms the Apurimac River. You will then take a new path that traverses the throat of the canyon with an extraordinary vista of Wayna Qalli towards the canyon, thought of as the most impressive in South America. Reach Cachora with a return bus to Cusco.
Inclusions for 5-Day Choquequirao Trek
- Pre-trek briefing
- Early morning transfer by private bus to Cachora - the initial point of the trek
- Accommodation: Campsites (4 nights)
- Entrance fee to the Choquequirao
- Meals: 4x breakfast, 4x lunch, 4x dinner and 3x afternoon hot beverages
- Professional bilingual Tour Guide
- Professional Cook
- Muleteer and horses to carry food, camping and cooking equipment and 7 kg of each passenger's stuff
- Camping equipment: personal double tents
- Inflatable mattress (Term-a-Rest Mattress);
- A sleeping bag (for up to -5C)
- A blanket per person
- A pillow
- Day Pack Rain Covers
- Rain Ponchos
- Duffel bag (for your personal belongings)
- Tables and chairs, a cooking tent with cooking equipment, dining and toilet tents
- A sleeping bag (for up to -5C)
- First aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle.
Exclusions for 5-Day Choquequirao Trek
- Breakfast on day 1 and lunch on the last day
- International and domestic flights
- Personal travel insurance
- Tips to local staff (please note: it is a custom to give tips in Peru; however, it is not obligatory)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 4 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
Minimum age is 18 years
Meal budget: Please allow USD 20-50 for meals not included.
Local flights: No local flights are included in the treks price
Not recommended for participants with back problems
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- 5-Day Tour to Machu Picchu: Salkantay Trek
- Lares Valley Inca Hot Springs Tour from Cusco
- Sacred Valley of the Incas Private Day Trip
- Moray Terraces and Maras Salt Mines Day Trip
- Half Day Touring and Exploring Ollantaytambo
- Private Full-Day Tour to The Archaeological Site of Pisaq in Sacred Valley
- Full Day Tour on the Sun Route from Cusco to Puno
- Private Full-Day Sacred Valley Tour with Pisac Ruins