Abbotsford The Home Of Sir Walter Scott
OverviewDiscover Abbotsford, the home of Sir Walter Scott; one of Scotland’s most fascinating places. Created almost 200 years ago on the banks of the River Tweed in the Scottish Borders, Abbotsford was the culmination of Scott’s creative ambitions as a writer and the fount of his inspiration. Explore the historic house and discover a treasure trove of intriguing objects and unusual artefacts which inspired Scott’s greatest poems and novels.
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Excellent value for money
- Family friendly
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Tour is wheelchair accessible
Know More about this tour
Abbotsford is a 'must see' attraction and if you are going to take a half day or day trip from Edinburgh, this is the one.
- Only an hour from Edinburgh
- Scott made the kilt Scotlands national dress
- Scotlands fame and romance started with Scotts writing
- Abbotsford is the first Scots Baronial house, copied worldwide
- His Hail to the Chief is played to welcome every USA President
Learn about Scotts life and achievements, browse the gift shop, dine in style in our restaurant or simply relax and unwind as you wander through the beautiful formal gardens and tranquil woodlands a day out at Abbotsford has something for everyone. Begin your visit to Abbotsfordat our new award-winning Visitor Centre. Discover the life and times of Sir Walter Scott with our free exhibition, indulge in some shopping for souvenirs and unique gifts, meet friends and family for morning coffee or lunch or set off to explore our popular family play trail.
Our stylish restaurant serves a range of freshly prepared refreshments and meals made with locally-sourced ingredients including morning coffee, lunches and afternoon tea. Fresh seasonal menus are available throughout the day.
Sir Walter Scotts imagination and creativity extended beyond the walls of his house into the outdoors and the creation of beautiful formal gardens. Each garden at Abbotsford is distinct in character; taken together, they form three outdoor rooms designed to offer picturesque settings for the main house. The gardens we see today are still fundamentally Scotts work, though with certain alterations carried out by his descendants to adapt the space for the changing needs of the family.
You can reach Abbotsford easily from Edinburgh Waverley Train Station by taking the Borders Railway to Tweedbank, which takes less than 1 hour. From here you can take a signposted walk to Abbotsford which will take around 20 minutes.
Inclusions for Abbotsford The Home Of Sir Walter Scott
- Entrance fees
- Local taxes
Exclusions for Abbotsford The Home Of Sir Walter Scott
- Food and drinks
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Closed 1 December until 28 February
A small amount of walking is involved
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Private Departure Transfer: Negombo City to Colombo Bandaranayake International Airport CMB BIA
- Private Arrival Transfer: Colombo Bandaranayake International Airport CMB BIA to Negombo City
- Guided Tour of Cathedral of Holy Trinity
- Red Dot Design Museum Admission Ticket
- Privat Airport Transfer Sri lanka From Bandaranayake International Airport
- Sombai Infused Cambodian Liqueur: Workshop Visit and Liqueur Tasting