Amsterdam Bike Tour: Off The Beaten Path
OverviewExperience Amsterdams passion for all things two wheels on a 3-hour guided bike tour. Pedal through cool, lesser-known neighborhoods on a tour inspired by Pete Jordans book, In the City of Bikes, passing landmarks such as the Rikjsmuseum and Maritime Museum. Navigate pretty districts such as Jordaan, ride a ferry to see the citys northern 'dijks' (dykes), and on route, discover quirky bike-related places, unusual trivia and incredible tales such as how Amsterdammers used their bikes to beat wartime Nazi blockades.Numbers are limited to 12 on this small-group tour, ensuring personalized attention.
- Small-group tour
- Led by a local guide
- Instant Confirmation
- Great overview and orientation of the city
Know More about this tourMeet your guide near Dam Square in central Amsterdam, put on your helmet and hop on your traditional Dutch bike.
Before setting off, get an introduction to Amsterdams obsession with two wheels and learn about Pete Jordan's hit book, In the City of Bikes. Hear how it inspired the tour and how youll pass some of the bike-related places mentioned in its pages.
Start by cycling through Amsterdams historical financial district, passing buildings such as the old Dutch East India Company offices. As you travel, gain quirky insights into the citys long-held relationship not just with bikes, but with the sea, and how they're closely intertwined.
Leave the financial district behind and then head towards Amsterdams northern dijks, starting out through either the interesting old Jewish quarter or along the Amstel River.
Depending on the route you take, cruise through districts such as Jordaan with its pretty bridges and canals; and pass landmarks such as the Rijksmuseum, Amstel sluice gate, de Gooyer windmill and the waterfront Maritime Museum, housed in a resplendently restored 17th century naval storehouse.
Then, take a 5-minute ferry ride to north Amsterdam an area many visitors never see and hear tales of the 1944-1945 hunger treks, when thousands of Amsterdammers cycled north to find food during the wartime Nazi blockades.
Cycle around some of the dijks here and learn how theyve protected against flooding, before returning by ferry to the city center.
Before your tour ends, hear more about Amsterdams passion for cycling, and see other places mentioned in Jordans book, including the bike parking station with stalls for over 500 bikes, and the famous intersections where 30 bikes or more can zoom by every minute!
Your tour then ends back at the original start point.
Inclusions for Amsterdam Bike Tour: Off The Beaten Path
- Local English-speaking guide
A Dutch back-pedal bike
A trip on a ferry or stop in naval museum (weather dependent)
Exclusions for Amsterdam Bike Tour: Off The Beaten Path
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
- Items of personal nature incl. beers at the brewery and coffee and/or snacks at the library terrace bar
- Tips or gratuities for your guide
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
This tour is intended for adults only. You must be at least 12 years or older to participate.You may be required to provide identification verifying your birth date at the start of the tour
Wear clothing suitable for weather conditions
Please bring a bottle of water
Footwear should be suitable for a bike ride; sneakers recommended
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Private Amsterdam Walking Tour Including Refreshments
- Historic Walking Tour of Amsterdam with Art Historian Guide
- Amsterdam Canal Boat Hop-On Hop-Off Tour with Rijksmuseum Ticket
- Brussels and Antwerp Day Trip from Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Shore Excursion: Van Gogh Museum and Amsterdam Canal Hop-On Hop-Off Day Pass
- Amsterdam Bar and Club Tour