ANZAC Day Trip From Paris: Dawn Service At Villers-Bretonneux And WWI Somme Battlefields Tour
OverviewDont miss this years ANZAC Day, an Australian day of remembrance that marks the anniversary of Australia and New Zealands first military action during World War I. Travel from Paris to Villers-Bretonneux in the early morning for the ANZAC Day Dawn Service, followed by a tour of the surrounding Somme area to visit major WWI sites and battlefields. Visit the site of the Battle of Pozires and explore the Lochnagar Crater, Adelaide Cemetery, the Franco-Australian Museum and the Thiepval Memorial, all while learning about the history of WWI from your expert guide.
- Day trip (destination A to B)
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Pickup from a centrally located meeting point
- Step back in time on a history tour
Know More about this tourCommemorating the Australian New Zealand Army Corps who came together to aid the British Empire during World War I, ANZAC Day marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the war. It originally commemorated the landing of forces at Gallipoli on April 25, 1915 which would ultimately prove a bloody failure but ANZAC Day has grown to become an important Australian day of remembrance around the world.
Make sure to get plenty of sleep the night before ANZAC Day, as youll depart Paris in the early hours to make it to the dawn service in Villers-Bretonneux, located about 2 hours north. When you arrive, you'll attend the 6am ANZAC Day Dawn Service, which honors the sacrifice of the Australians and New Zealanders during the war.
This moving service is a major part of the tradition of ANZAC Day, dating back to the military practice of 'standing to' at dawn, the most favorable time for attack. The ANZAC legend was poignantly put into words by Sir William Deane, Governor-General of Australia: "Anzac is not merely about loss. It is about courage, and endurance, and duty, and love of country, and mateship, and good humor and the survival of a sense of self-worth and decency in the face of dreadful odds.
After the dawn service, youll spend the rest of the day on a guided tour of the surrounding Somme area, a part of France that suffered severely in the violent and bloody battles of WWI. Visit Somme's many battlefields, memorials, cemeteries and landmarks while hearing vivid stories and learning about the successes and failures of WWI from your guide.
Visit the massive Lochnagar Crater in the village of La Boiselle, followed by the site of the Battle of Pozires and the site of the Battle of Mont Saint-Quentin. Next, visit the Thiepval Memorial, browse historical collections at the Franco-Australian Museum, and pay your dues at the Adelaide Cemetery.
At the end of your ANZAC Day tour, hop back in the minivan or coach and return to Paris around 3:30pm.
Inclusions for ANZAC Day Trip From Paris: Dawn Service At Villers-Bretonneux And WWI Somme Battlefields Tour
- Guided sightseeing tour with English-speaking guide
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan, 15-seat mini-coach or large coach depending on the group size
Exclusions for ANZAC Day Trip From Paris: Dawn Service At Villers-Bretonneux And WWI Somme Battlefields Tour
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 3 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Many of the sites on this tour are outside so please dress appropriately
There will be one short stop on the way to Villers-Bretonneux for the dawn service ceremony and one stop around lunch time. Food and drinks are not included.
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.