Art Tour: Visit The Artists Of St Maarten And St Martin - Philipsburg
OverviewThe St Martin Art Tour departs at 9 am from Philipsburg, close to the cruise ship terminal. The tour takes 4 hours and will go around the entire island passing through both the French and Dutch side of St Maarten/ St Martin while visiting 4 renowned local artists at their gallery or studio. The various backgrounds of the artists have created a wonderful palette of styles and techniques which can be enjoyed during the St Martin Art Tour. The art works depict St Martins nature, culture and people in vibrant colors. Take an original or reproduction home for a slice of St Martin to brighten up any room!During the tour your driver-guide will tell you about St Martin's history. Guests get to choose - in advance - from 8 artists, see the Activity Details section.
Know More about this tour
Transport during the St Martin Art Tour is in an air conditioned vehicle with a maximum of 6 guests. Homemade banana bread, iced tea and iced coffee are served during one of the stops. Are you a cruise ship guest? Please read below if you have concerns regarding timing*.
Please let us know which 4 artists have your preference:
- Tess Verheij A Dutch artist and art teacher, with her own gallery and arts and crafts studio. She provides scholarships for local children, funded by selling her own wonderful art which she creates on different mediums with a fascinating variation of materials, such as metal and local sand.
- Max Phelipa - Born in the Dutch Caribbean Max displays his colourful oils, pastels and acrylics around his house in a neat and lush garden. His favourite subjects are tropical flowers, local scenery and portraits.
- Jean-Pierre Straub - This Frenchman is the only marqueter in the Caribbean, and one of the best in the world. Marquetry is the art of inlaying thin fine wood. Jean-Pierre creates the most wonderful Caribbean sceneries which radiate warmth and skill.
- Sir Roland Richardson Impressionist with oils and also creates detailed engravings. You will both admire his paintings of St Martin's national tree the red flowering Flamboyant, as well as this artist's flamboyant character. Roland Richardson's Art Gallery is not open on Sundays and the master himself can only be met on Thursdays.
- Alexandre Minguet - The vibrant watercolor paintings and handmade lithographs of the late Alexandre Minguet are shown in his former studio, by his daughter Catherine.
- Dame Ruby Bute - Born in the Dutch Caribbean and a wonderful story teller, poet and painter. Her colourful paintings depict life on St Martin as she remembers it from when she was small. Ruby Bute is always happy to share the story behind whichever painting you prefer, in the art gallery next to her home.
- Francis Eck - Bright and abstract oils of Caribbean seascapes as well as snowscapes, since this French artist grew up in the Alsace. All his works are made with palette knives. The exposition is at his home where you can also have a peek into his studio.
My ship arrives later than 8.30 am, can I do a tour with you?
Yes, we can adjust the starting time of the tour. Pls let us know your ship and time.
Will I make it in time to your meeting point?
If your ship is docking half an hour prior to our starting time, then you will make it to our meeting point at Dock Maarten. Dont worry if you're delayed up to 30mins, we know the ships in port, youve paid for your tour, so we wait till you get to our meeting point.
Will the tour be back in time for my cruise ship?
We have returned 100% of our cruise ship guests back to the ship on time.
Inclusions for Art Tour: Visit The Artists Of St Maarten And St Martin
- Bottled water
- Iced tea, coffee, and cake
- Local guide
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Pickup from Philipsburg and Oyster Pond
Exclusions for Art Tour: Visit The Artists Of St Maarten And St Martin
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
At time of booking, cruise ship passengers must provide the following information: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time, and reboarding time
For hotel guests: please be aware the tour starts in Philipsburg. If not staying in a resort in Philipsburg or Oyster Pond, arrange for transport to the starting point.
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Hover Board and Beach
- St Maarten Snorkeling Tour
- Philipsburg Foodie Walking Tour
- Soualiga Sky Explorer and Museum
- Soualiga Sky Explorer and Flying Dutchman
- Soualiga Sky Explorer Flying Dutchman and Schooner Ride
- Soualiga Sky Explorer Flying Dutchman Schooner Ride and Sentry Hill Zip Line
- Soualiga Sky Explorer and Schooner Ride