ATM Cave Tour From San Ignacio
OverviewHere you will find Maya artifacts just the way they were left by the Mayas hundreds of years ago. The cave is ranked as one of the Top Ten Caves Of The World by the National Geographic Society. National Geographic and the Discovery Channels and History have done documentaries on this spectacular cave. Allow us to unveil the secrets of Xibalba the Mayan underworld to you.
Know More about this tour
Pick ups begin as early as 7:00AM for hotels within San Ignacio Town.
Additional fees apply for hotels outside of Town.
The tour schedule is flexible depending on cruise ship groups, traffic on roads, and your guide's attention to details, including off-the beaten path extras he may occasionally throw in (adding value to your tour).
Your adventure begins at 8:00 AM with a 45 minutes drive on the George Price Highway withanother 30 minutes off-road to the parking lot.
From the parking lot, we have a 45 minutes jungle hike toward the cave entrance, crossing a knees-deep river 3 times along the way- enjoy the scenery.
At the cave entrance:
Upon reaching the mouth of the ATM cave, your guide briefs you on the caves historical facts while you gear up with helmets and head lamps. The hike inside the cave entails a very short swim of about 30 feet across at the very entrance of the cave. For non-swimmers, there is a by-pass around the corner of the caves entrance through which you are assisted by the guide. For the rest of the cave length, its mostly wading through the water no deeper than chest-height (at average height) at most. Admire the myriad cave formations along the way until reaching the hidden dry chamber where amazement awaits you.
In the main chamber:
To get to the main chamber, you'll climb over some rocks providing a staircase to the chamber. Once in the chamber, youll be asked by your guide to take off your shoes, and walk with only your socks on your feet. Here your guide explains the Maya rituals while you awe at the magnificence of this ancient tomb and its grandeur.
Youll be amazed by all the Mayan artifacts and remains freely scattered throughout the cave as your guide explains how they got their and what lead to this shocking massacre in such a remote location. Walking farther into the cave, well reach a higher but smaller chamber accessible only through the use of a man-made ladder. This is where the prized, intact, crystalized skeletal remains of the Crystal Maiden lay. Take your time, to sink in the reality of what lies before you.
After being saturated to capacity with astonishment, we make our way back out of the chambers and the cave. (the way back out always seems so much shorter than the way in). We then hike back onto the parking lot, where the guide will provide you with your lunch as you discuss the reality of what youve just witnessed inside. You may choose to change into your dry clothes before or after lunch (your choice). After lunch, we board our vehicle and head back to San Ignacio arriving around 3:30- 4:00 PM.
Inclusions for ATM Cave Tour From San Ignacio
- Entrance fees
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- GST (Goods and Services Tax)
- National Park fees
- Light refreshments
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup (selected hotels only)
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
Exclusions for ATM Cave Tour From San Ignacio
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Children must be accompanied by an adult
Minimum drinking age is 18 years
A minimum of 2 adults is required to book this tour
Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
Not recommended for pregnant women
Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
All passenger heights MUST be advised at time of booking
Please dress appropriately
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Shared Departure Transfer: San Ignacio Hotels to Belize International Airport
- Cave Tubing and Zip line Adventure from San Ignacio
- Xunantunich and Big Rock Falls
- Belize 3 Days and 2 nights 5 tours
- Xunantunich Temples and Jungle Pontoon Waterfall Adventure
- Waterfall Horseback Ride from San Ignacio
- Jungle Pontoon Waterfall Adventure Tour
- Cave Tubing from San Ignacio