Bachkovo Monastery And Asen's Fortress Private Day Tour From Plovdiv
OverviewVisit the remarkable remains of King Asen's Fortress and church from 13-th century, located on a picturesque hill in the Rhodope Mountains. Explore the Bachkovo Monastery, the second largest in Bulgaria, founded in 1083. Optional easy walk in the nearby Red Wall nature reserve.
Know More about this tour
From Plovdiv head towards the Rhodope Mountains passing through the pretty town of Asenovgrad. Nearby see the remarkable remains of King Ivan Asen's Fortress - a wise ruler of the Second Bulgarian Kingdom. There find an ancient church dating from the 13-th century painted with some authentic pieces of iconography. At the top of the fortress enjoy an awesome 360 degrees panorama all over the Rhodope Mountains, Asenovgrad town, The Thracian Valley and the imposing Balkan Range with its highest Botev Peak in the far distance.
Next go deeper in the lovely Rhodope Mountains towards the picturesque Bachkovo Monastery. The cloister is the second largest in Bulgaria, founded in 1083 and one of the most sacred places in the Bulgarian history. Inside the monastery visit the main church of Virgin Mary built in 1604 where a valuable icon of Saint Mary from 11-12th century AD is being kept. According to the legend and the big number of healed people this remarkable icon is believed to be miracle working. Attached to the Virgin Mary church we see the Archangels Church dating to the 12-th century. The monastery refectory is another jewel in the complex which has preserved colorful murals from 1643. Together with the Doomsday fresco, we witness the images of some prophets, saint-monks, ancient philosophers and writers such as Socrates, Aristotle, Plato and many more. The panoramic mural painting on the outside wall of the refectory represents a bird's eye view of the monastery with all the surrounding buildings from 1807. This is the biggest scenic mural on the Balkan Peninsula! In the second monastery yard we finally visit the Saint Nikola church built between 1834 and 1837.
Optionally, for the nature enthusiasts continue the tour with a short and easy walk in the Red wall nature reserve nearby Bachkovo Monastery to discover a beautiful waterfall, green meadows and lush forests.
Trip duration: 3-4 hours
Inclusions for Bachkovo Monastery And Asen's Fortress Private Day Tour From Plovdiv
- Local guide
- Fuel surcharge
- Live commentary on board
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Private tour
Exclusions for Bachkovo Monastery And Asen's Fortress Private Day Tour From Plovdiv
- Entrance fees: Assen's Fortress (2 EUR), Bachkovo Monastery entrance fee (0,50 EUR), Bachkovo Monastery refectory (3 EUR) - optional
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 3 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
Children must be accompanied by an adult
A small amount of walking is involved
Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.