Bailes Of Madureira: The Charme Dance In Rio De Janeiro
OverviewThe roots of the Charm Dance came out of the tremendous influence of African-American Soul and Funk music and Afro-Brazilian music. The Bailes of Madureira represent the parties where one can get a taste of the African-Brazilian cultural experience.
- Exclusive after-hours access
- Skip the line
- All entrance fees included
Know More about this tour
At these parties that are frequented by well-dressed mostly African-Brazilian men and women aged 18-35, you'll hear the latest sounds of American superstars like Chris Brown and Beyoncé alongside icons like Michael Jackson, James Brown and everyone in between.
Every Saturday the Espaço Cultural Rio Hip-Hop Charme, or Viaduto de Madureira as it’s more commonly known, hosts the most important Charme Dance party in the city. Originating from the Carnival bloco ‘Pagodão Madureira’ created by friends known as Leno, Pedro, Edinho and Xandoca in May 1990, local entertainment businessman Cesar Atáide invited the group to establish Projeto Charme na Rua, a hip hop, soul and R&B party for the neighborhood.
With Atáide’s influence the group secured the space under the Viaduto Negrão de Lima and using seminal funk rapper MC Marlboro’s sound system, the team launched the now legendary event on the first Saturday of Carnival in 1993.
While soul and R&B had been played in Rio clubs since the 1960s, the Viaduto de Madureira events were the first to popularize the genre and create an focal point for Carioca hip hop and charme, (the Rio manifestation of North American R&B). Understanding the importance of the events for the spread of African-Brazilian culture in Rio, the state government officially recognized the parties in 1995 renaming it The Rio Charme Project.
In contrast to the baile funks, with their glorification of gang violence and often tense atmospheres, the Baile do Viaduto is an urban street party with a palpably positive vibe. Starting at 10PM, things start to get going at 1AM and in the run up to Racionais MC’s performance DJs spin a mix of hip hop and R&B by national and international artists such as 50 Cent, 509-E, Beyonce, Orixás and BNegão while street dancers bust a groove on stage.
Bursting onto the stage in a fog of smoke and vitriolic lyrical attack, Racionais MCs command the crowd with socially engaged flow over pared down hip hop beats. Formed in 1988 by MCs from the favelas on the periphery of São Paulo, Racionais promote social consciousness with lyrics directly addressing issues such as drugs, racism, police brutality and poverty.
Hits such as ‘Vida Loka’ and ‘Diário de um Detento’, which relates the incident where police killed 111 inmates of Carandiru prison on October 2nd 1992, get the loudest reception with the audience chanting along word for word while Ice Blue fixes us with his formidable glare.
A crush follows the show. Barriers fall down as fans clamor to be photographed with the MCs backstage. The anarchic chaos befits the huge popularity of the group who, as pioneers of Brazilian hip hop, are totally befitting for the Baile do Viaduto.
Inclusions for Bailes Of Madureira: The Charme Dance In Rio De Janeiro
- Entrance fees
- Professional guide
- Tour escort/host
- Hotel/port pickup and drop-off
Exclusions for Bailes Of Madureira: The Charme Dance In Rio De Janeiro
- Alcoholic Drinks (available to purchase)
- Food and Drinks
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Minimum age is 18 years
Dress code is smart casual
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Tijuca Forest Hiking Tour Including Waterfalls
- Hiking and Rappelling Adventure at Tijuca Forest National Park
- Pico da Tijuca Hiking Tour in Tijuca Forest National Park
- Bico do Papagaio Hiking Tour at Tijuca National Park
- Historical Rio Walking Tour
- Cidade do Samba Behind-the-Scenes Carnival Tour in Rio de Janeiro
- Rio Samba School: Behind-the-Scenes Carnival Rehearsal
- Stand Up Paddle Tour to Tijuca Islands