OverviewMeet your guide in central Paris and join them for a 2.5-hour visit to the first Gothic cathedral in the world, and final resting place of French royalty. The architecture of the Cathedral of St Denis is breathtaking, and the exquisite tombs of the Kings and Queens of France that lie inside it will take you on a voyage through centuries of history.
- Led by an art historian
- Small-group tour
- Step back in time on a history tour
Know More about this tour
The Basilica of St. Denis is the official necropolis of the French monarchy; here you will find the tombs of 43 kings and 32 queens, from Dagobert in the 7th century to King Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette. Get introduced to the city and history of Paris through the kings and queens that both made and ruled it.
Also learn about the story of St. Denis, patron saint of Paris, whom the cathedral is dedicated to and who, according to legend, walked here carrying his own head! This magnificent Gothic masterpiece was built in the 13th century, many years before the Cathedral of Notre Dame. Chosen by St. Louis to be the final resting place of the French royal family, it houses a collection of the finest medieval and Renaissance royal tombs.
During the French Revolution, the remains ofkings and queens were meticulously dug out and thrown into a mass grave. With the Restoration of the monarchy, the glory of the kings had to also be restored, but how were their bodies found after the turmoil of the Revolution? Your guide will tell you this story, as well as that of the 10-year-old son of King Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette, whose heart is preserved today in a crystal urn.Learn the secrets of the lives and deaths of the French royal families on a visit to this incredible Gothic treasure.
Inclusions for Basilica Cathedral Of Saint-Denis Tour Including Necropolis Of The Kings Of France
- 2 hour guided visit of the Basilica of St Denis
- Escorted metro ride to St Denis from central Paris
- Fully accredited local guide
- Small groups of 20 people or fewer
Exclusions for Basilica Cathedral Of Saint-Denis Tour Including Necropolis Of The Kings Of France
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Sunday bookings will give you the opportunity to attend the Mass after your visit.
The Mass will start at 6:00 pm from October to March, and at 6:30 pm from April to September.
Note that the Basilica is both a museum and a church. For that reason, very occasionally, due to funerals or exceptional masses the tour could be canceled or postponed. We would of course warn you as early as possible as we keep in touch with the staff of the Basilica.
From October to April, make sure you are dressed warmly as it gets really cold inside the cathedral.
There are a few steps to enter the church and to reach the crypt. The Necropolis museum has special accesses and elevators for disabled people. Make sure you notify it to us so we make the arrangements with the staff there and the tour will go smoothly for everyone.
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.