Beale Street was established in 1841 by entrepreneur and developer Roberston Topp. Â Back then, Topp had no idea that 100 years later Beale Street would become the Home of the Blues. Let us take you on this fascinating journey back in time and follow the street from its very beginnings as a trading district to a vibrant African-American community and, ultimately, America's most iconic street. Â Learn about the people who called Beale Street home; from gangsters who ran the street to the musicians who put it on the map and the civil rights leaders who instituted change that would impact an entire country.
Know More about this tourThis 1 hour journey begins at The Orpheum where performers such as Bob Hope, Mae West, Jack Benny, Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington have performed. Â Then visit Lansky Brothers where all the entertainers in Memphis have shopped including Elvis.
As you pass overÂ Second Street you will visit King's Palace Cafe home to pawn shops, photography studios and also where the leading black newspaper in the city was published. Â You'll also see A.Schwab's, the oldest business on Beale Street and the famous Gallina Exchange Building.
You'll then pass by Handy Park where blues musicians made a living and famous music venues where B.B. King, Ray Charles and Isaac Hayes performed. Â You'll also hear about some of the more colorful characters on the street like Virgilio Maffei, who won a wager by swimming across the Mississippi River, W.C. Handy the Father of the Blues and Jim Kinnane the czar of the Memphis underworld.
No trip would be complete down Beale Street without visiting the Beale Street Baptist Church built in 1885. Â If you've always wanted to know the true stories of the most famous street in Memphis then this is the tour for you.
Inclusions for Beale Street Walking Tour
- Professional guide
Exclusions for Beale Street Walking Tour
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
A small amount of walking is involved
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.