Sydney Fish Market is the largest market of its kind in the southern hemisphere and the third largest seafood market in terms of variety in the world. About 2,700 crates (50-55 tonnes) of the freshest possible seafood is auctioned each day, through the computerised Dutch auction system, to around 160 buyers.
The incredible variety of seafood is sourced from individual fishermen, co-ops, fishing businesses and aquaculture farms in Australia, New Zealand and the Asia-Pacific region, with over 100 species available to buyers daily.
Your guide will explain the history of Sydney Fish Market and the workings of the Dutch auction clock system. You will then be led through the auction floor, viewing the freshest seafood available including live crab and huge tuna! Learn about sashimi, watch oysters being shucked and view the displays in our specialist seafood retail stores.
- Go behind the scenes with one of SFMs trained guides to explore all facets of the market.
- Hear the history of Sydney Fish Market.
- Learn how the Dutch auction and buying system works.
- Tour the auction floor, viewing over 100 species.
- See oysters being shucked.
- Find out about sashimi, live seafood products and our specialist seafood retailers.