Belize Zoo And Xunantunich Day Trip By Air From Ambergris Caye
OverviewView wildlife at the Belize Zoo and explore the Mayan plazas and palace ruins of Xunantunich on this full-day air tour from Ambergris Caye. Youll see wildcats, hear howler monkeys and spot exotic birds. Then, after crossing the Mopan River with our guide by hand-cranked ferryboat, climb to the peak of El Castillo for views of the Belize River Valley in the Cayo District. Plus, enjoy lunch (included) at a local restaurant.
- All entrance fees included
- Close encounter with wildlife
- Family friendly
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
Know More about this tour
After a shuttle ride to San Pedro Town and a 15-minute flight to Belize City from the San Pedro Ambergris Caye Airstrip, enjoy a drive along the Western Highway to the Belize Zoo. After you arrive at this wildlife sanctuary, your guide will help you spot native animals in natural-like habitats, including five species of rainforest wildcat, plus primates, reptiles and more than 500 types of tropical bird.
Afterward, ride a short distance across the emerald green Mopan River by wooden ferry; the interesting hand-crank technology dates back to the 19th century. Keep an eye out for the huge green iguanas that sun themselves on the forested bank and scamper under the foliage.
When you disembark on the opposite shore, take a short shuttle ride to the entrance of Xunantunich (Maya for Maiden of the Rock). Located on one of the highest plateaus of the Cayo District, this ancient Mayan site is just .6 mile (1 km) east of the Guatemalan border and includes six plazas and more than 25 temples.
First, gather at the Visitor Center to hear a bit about the regions history. Then, take an archeological walk back in time to the pyramid ruins of Xunantunich. Along the way, your guide will point out many tropical birds, howler monkeys and interesting flora such as the cotton trees and allspice plants, which the ancient Maya used as both food and medicine.
Inside the ancient city, visit residential palaces for Mayan royalty. Then, start your climb up the winding stone steps of spectacular El Castillo (The Castle). Rising 130 feet (39.6 meters), its the second-tallest structure in Belize.
View the stucco frieze that once wrapped around its entire perimeter, and admire the detailed, astronomical carvings depicting Mayan gods, rulers and warriors in full regalia. Continue to the temples peak to enjoy the stunning panorama, including the Belize River Valley and nearby Guatemala.
After your descent, relax at a local Belizean restaurant and enjoy lunch. Finally, board the coach for transport back to Belize City for your return flight to Ambergris Caye.
Inclusions for Belize Zoo And Xunantunich Day Trip By Air From Ambergris Caye
- Professional guide
- Round-trip flight to Belize City aboard Maya Island Air
- Transportation in Belize City
- Entrance fees
- Beverages (non-alcoholic)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off from hotels located within the town area of Ambergris Caye
Exclusions for Belize Zoo And Xunantunich Day Trip By Air From Ambergris Caye
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off from all hotels located north of San Pedro town (you may purchase round-trip transportation upon arrival)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Please note: you will be traveling aboard Maya island Air
A current valid passport is required on the day of travel
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.