Bird-Watching Tour From San Jose
OverviewA must-see for bird-watchers: Catch aviary action on this day trip to a private nature sanctuary just outside of San Jose. With 365 different species of birds identified here, you’ll see plenty with and without your binoculars. Follow a naturalist guide into open areas and the rainforest, and fly high over the canopy on an aerial tram, to optimize your aviary sightings. Macaws, hummingbirds and motmots are just a few of the birds you can check off your list. Bonus: Breakfast, lunch and transport from San Jose hotels are included.
- All entrance fees included
- All necessary equipment included
- Breakfast included
- Close encounter with wildlife
- Enjoy fantastic aerial views
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Fully narrated tour
- Get up-close to native wildlife
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Lunch included
Know More about this tourAfter early morning hotel pickup in San Jose, take a pleasant drive northeast and arrive less than an hour later at Rainforest Adventures Costa Rica Atlantic, an ecotourism reserve spanning 1,174 acres (475 hectares) of waterfalls, rivers and dense tropical forest.
During your bird-watching journey, you'll walk a total of 3 miles (5 km) on paved paths and flat dirt trails located in the Caribbean foothills, as well as primary and secondary tropical rainforests. Set up your tripod on the pavement, and have fun checking off the different birds you see from a list provided by your naturalist guide.
Follow your guide across a hanging bridge over Molinete River, where kingfishers usually are found snapping prey into their long, dagger-like beaks.
Then board an aerial tram and take a peaceful glide through the canopy. During this hour-long ride in an open-air gondola, see a bonanza of birdlife, with your guide explaining what you see along the way. The tram stops every so often to give you optimal opportunity to study birds and snap pictures. See if you can make out the resplendent plumes of a trogon, often missed as it usually perches very still in the mid-canopy.
Disembark deep in the rainforest and continue with your guide on a trail to an overlook point, where youll take a break and enjoy a box breakfast. (Breakfast typically includes rice and beans, scrambled eggs, sausages, bread, cereal, fresh fruit, juice, coffee or tea.)
Afterward, your guide takes you down a trail to catch more birds in their habitat, which might include a blue-crowned motmot, with its telltale bare feather shaft, and the keel-billed toucan with its multicolored beak. Perhaps youll hear parakeets and macaws before seeing them.
Continue your aviary adventure with your guide on another path toward the reserves observation center, a spectacular site with plants that attract hummingbirds. Maybe the lovely blue-gray tanager will flutter into view.
After a marvelous day of bird-watching, enjoy transport back to your San Jose hotel.
Note: Click on the 'View additional info' below to ensure your hotel is included in the pickup and drop-off zone.
Inclusions for Bird-Watching Tour From San Jose
- Professional guide
- Guided walking tour
- Aerial tram tour
- Entrance fees
- Breakfast (if option selected)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (if option selected)
Exclusions for Bird-Watching Tour From San Jose
- Gratuities (optional)
- Binoculars and/or spotting scope
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Minimum age is 12 years
It is recommended that you wear comfortable clothes and hiking shoes
A moderate amount of walking is involved
A good level of fitness is required
A minimum of 2 passengers per booking is required. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- San Jose Evening Tour with Dinner in Escaz
- Rafting in The Sarapiqui River Class III - IV
- San Jose Zipline Canopy Tour
- Overnight Manuel Antonio National Park Hiking and Zipline Tour
- Nightlife Hop on Hop Off Tour in San Jose
- Day Trip from San Jose to Irazu Volcano National Park, Cartago City and Orosi Valley