Bishop's Palace Museum: Admission Ticket - Waterford
OverviewThis magnificent Georgian residence is a must-see attraction. Experience authentic grand eighteenth century living in this beautiful Georgian building. Dont miss the oldest surviving piece of Waterford Crystal in the world dating back to 1789, and the Napoleon Bonapartes Mourning Cross; the only one to survive out of the original twelve that were made on his death. Take the multi-media handheld guide or enjoy a family friendly tour with a costumed performer.
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Excellent value for money
- Family friendly
- Flexibility to customize your itinerary to your own preferences
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Multiple times offered throughout the day
Know More about this tourThe Bishops Palace Museum houses a display of Waterford treasures from 1700 to the 20th Century, and gives visitors a wonderful insight into the history of what was, up until the 1750s, Irelands second city.
Waterford city boasts the finest collection of 18th Century architecture of any city in Ireland outside of Dublin. Its great legacy from this era includes elegant architecture, silverware and of course, fine glassmaking. This period of elegance began in Waterford in 1741 when the Anglo-German architect Richard Castles designed the wonderful Bishops Palace. Castles built the Palace with its front overlooking the town wall which he had reduced in height so that it formed part of the palaces terraced garden. Today Richard Castles is celebrated as one of Irelands greatest architects having designed most of the great houses of Ireland including the seat of the Irish parliament, Leinster House in Dublin.
The Bishops Palace Museum reveals the story of Waterford from 1700 to the 1970s. Amongst the many items of national and international significance displayed at the museum is the only surviving Bonaparte 'mourning cross', which was one of 12 produced upon Napoleon Bonapartes death in 1821. The museum also holds the Penrose decanter, the oldest surviving piece of Waterford Crystal, which dates back to 1789.
The Bishops Palace offers a unique experience for visitors. The building contains a wealth of fascinating artefacts, period furniture, beautiful fireplaces and a collection of rare and important paintings. An entire floor of the building is dedicated to historic stories specific to Waterford such as Ballybrickens pig markets, Waterfords Home Rule story, the First World War in Waterford, the War of Independence in Waterford, childhood and household living in Waterford.
Inclusions for Bishop's Palace Museum: Admission Ticket
- Entrance fees
- Professional guide
Exclusions for Bishop's Palace Museum: Admission Ticket
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Children must be accompanied by an adult
A maximum of 35 people per booking
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.