OverviewImagine a lovely fishing village built out of pastel-coloured houses, carved into green hills along the Mediterranean Sea. No, itâs not a fantasy, itâs Boccadasse, just a short ride beyond Genoaâs city centre. On this food tour, youâll take a trip to the village where youâll learn the true way to make authentic Genovese pesto, and also go hunting for a proper Italian gelato.
Know More about this tour
If you can't say âItalyâ without thinking about a gelato, then you definitely can't say âGenoaâ without trying the original pesto sauce! Lucky for you, on this Genoa tour youâll go for both, and we're talking about an authentic local foodie experience!Â
Your Genoa food tour will start from Brignole Train Station, just under the big clock youâll find outside the station building. From there, weâll catch the public bus that will take us to the village of Boccadasse, about 15 to 20 minutes away. Once we arrive, youâll get a classic view of this magical place, from a terrace next to an ancient church. Snap a few photos of the yellow, orange, and pink houses surrounded by the green of the hills and the blue of the Mediterranean Sea.Â
After taking in this gorgeous view, weâll then walk down to the little harbour full of fishermen's boats, for a closer look at this unique village. Weâre headed towards a real local experience, the pesto lesson! Using the original recipe as your textbook, youâll learn how this special sauce was invented and made. After an introduction and demonstration, itâll be your turn, and youâll get to show us how good you are at making authentic Genovese pesto. Of course, all that smell of basil and olive oil will leave you hungry, so then itâll be time for the best part of the lesson: the pesto-tasting!Â
Once youâve proven your skills as Italian chefs, weâll then discover another classic Italian flavour: gelato. We could spend days going on about how good it is and what's behind a good gelato, but on this tour, let's cut it short and just try it! We'll visit one of the oldest gelato shops (gelateria) in town, a place well-known among locals as the place to go for a sweet treatment. Youâll learn all the secrets behind producing a true gelato and, most importantly for the non-experts, how to recognise a good one from a 'touristy' fake gelato.Â
After our afternoon with the locals of Boccadasse, learning about Genoese traditions, weâll hop back on the public bus and return to Brignole Train Station, where our tours ends and youâll be free to see more of Genoa on your own.
Inclusions for Boccadasse District Tour Including Pesto Making Lesson, Pesto And Gelato Tasting
- Local English-speaking guide
- Pesto lesson and tasting
- Gelato tasting
- Bus ticket to/from the district of Boccadasse
Exclusions for Boccadasse District Tour Including Pesto Making Lesson, Pesto And Gelato Tasting
- Additional food and drinks
- souvenirs and items of a personal nature
- tips/gratuities for your guide.
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Please wear comfortable shoes for walking.
For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
This is a child-friendly tour. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour.
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.