Bogotá Emerald Gemstone Tour - Bogota
OverviewDiscover the world of gemstones and highest quality emeralds in the world. Colombian emeralds are famous for their exotic beauty and considered an important part of our cultural and geological heritage. This Emerald Gemstone tour invites you to discover the processes of mining, production and stone carving, while touring the main emerald trade center located in La Candelaria, the oldest neighborhood of Bogot. We will visit several places where you'll find unique rough stones, sculptures and elegant jewelry designs, showcasing how Colombian emeralds are unique for their color, brightness, purity and size.
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
- Get inside tips from a local
Know More about this tourWe start our trip at the Parque Santander, where you can see several landmark buildings of Bogot, including the former building of the El Tiempo newspaper, the Bank of the Republic, the Gold Museum and the churches of San Francisco, La Veracruz and La Tercera.
There, we will travel up to the 23rd floor of the Avianca Building, an architectural landmark of contemporary Bogot, to enter the Museo Internacional de la Esmeralda, where we will visit a 27 square meter tunnel with samples of the emerald deposits and real veins extracted from the mines of Boyaca.
Here we will be able to appreciate the process of working with emeralds, from its extraction in the mines to the carving and handcraft of jewelry making, which we will see live in the museum workshop.
The collection showcases unique emeralds from Colombia such as the Fuego Ferde (Green Fire) and Trapiche emerald, known for its strange shape of a star.
After that, we will walk along Carrera Sptima and Avenida Jimenez, the center of the emerald market in town. Our path towards the Plazoleta del Rosario will let us experience informal traders who are buying and selling emeralds on the streets daily where you will learn the importance of acquiring stones at authorized and reliable stores.
This route will take us to the Eje Ambiental and the commercial center for emeralds with the largest number of organized shops in Bogot. Then we enter the Emerald Trade Center, a building with local and export business offices.
Finally, we will walk to La Candelaria, to finish our tour at the Galera de Artesanas y Esmeraldas de Colombia, a place where we will be received with a cup of Colombian coffee and you will enjoy crafts from all over the country.
Here you will discover the makeup of emeralds and learn to recognize original stones and their value according to their color, clarity and carat weight.
At the end of the day we will have seen natural rough emeralds originated millions of years ago, jewelery in silver, yellow and white gold as well as other other precious stones.
Inclusions for Bogotá Emerald Gemstone Tour
- Entrance fees
- Coffee break
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (if option selected)
- Transport by private vehicle
Exclusions for Bogotá Emerald Gemstone Tour
- Gratuities (optional)
- Anything that is not mentioned as included
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
A maximum of 15 people per booking
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Conformable shoes are recommended
Passport name, number, expiration date and country is required at time of booking for all participants
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.