Over 2 hours you'll explore nearly a dozen food shops with a Little Italy insider.You'll find out which shop makes the best fresh mozzarella, where to get real San Marzano tomatoes and discover the spot where you can get the finest extra virgin olive oil from Sicily.
Your walking tour will cover Arthur Avenue, Hughes Avenue and 187th Street.
Food: Tastings of pastry, bread, cheese and salumi, equivalent to a small to medium sized lunch.
- Say hi to Peter at Vincent's Meat Market named one of the 10 best butcher shops in New york city.
- Sample imported Italian cheese at Calandra's also known for their exquisite fresh ricotta made daily.
- Take a stroll through the Arthur Avenue Retail Market and sort through the high quality pastas, flours, cookies, and canned tomatoes imported from Italy at Mount Carmel Foods.
- Look up at the "sausage chandelier" at Calabria Pork Store and sample their house cured pork products.
- Taste authentic Sicilian cannoli at Caff & Gelato.
- Visit Addeo's bakery for a taste of the addictive chicola bread made with chunks of crispy cured pork.
- Borgatti Ravioli for fresh pasta and ravioli made with love.
- Egidio Pastry Shop where Carmela Lucciola uses Don Pasquale Egidio's original recipes from the 19th century.
- Teitel Brothers, where chefs go to shop and where you can buy authentic Italian olive oils at a low price.
- Joe's Deli for the best fresh mozzarella in Little Italy.
Throughout the tour we'll sample bread, pastry, cheese and salumi, equivalent to a small to medium sized lunch. Shops make certain specialties on certain days or for particular holidays. Samples will be adjusted to reflect the best of Little Italy on the date of your tour.