Budapest Culinary Walk
OverviewThere is no better way to begin any exploration of Budapest other than with its food and drinks. Our food, wine, cultural walking and tasting tour begins at The Central Market Hall—Budapest’s cathedral of food—and continues through one of its most delicious and charming neighborhoods. Be sure to come with an appetite. You will need it on this tour!
- Small group ensures personal service
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Get inside tips from a local
- Free drinks included
- Lunch included
Know More about this tourThe Central Market Hall, one of Europes largest and most spectacular indoor markets, is a natural place to begin getting acquainted with Hungarian food. Here you will get an introduction to the culture of Hungarian cuisine through the great variety and abundance of ingredients (which are mostly local and seasonal) on display. We will discuss the history of the building, the culture of eating, drinking in Hungary and just what it is that Hungarian home cooks do with all of that pork fat, paprika, and goose liver. From there, we will visit a few more places in the surrounding neighbourhoods, which could include (depending on the day of the week), a spice shop, a kosher bakery, a coffee house, a candy manufacturer or an artisan chocolate shop. We will visit a butcher shop where we will sample several traditional Hungarian dishes, and afterwards we will visit a traditional patisserie to sample some of the elegant cakes for which Hungarian bakers are known. By this time youll be ready for a glass (or three) of wine. The finale will be a wine tasting session in which we will taste three quintessential Hungarian wines and get an introduction to the Hungarian wine regions, varietal, and styles. This tour will give you a taste of the traditional side of Hungarian cuisine, as well as the modern artisan producers and specialty food shops which are spicing up Budapests food scene.
LearnDiscover Hungarian food and wine, from the raw ingredients through the most delicious dishes and wines. Learn about the history of the market, the ingredients, and the recipes.
ExperienceEating and drinking like a local.
WinePut the Hungarian wine scene in context as you taste three wines, while discussing the state of Hungarian wine making, some of the important regions, and the major varietal.
SeeThe tour will provide a thorough tour of the different stalls and sections of Budapests largest food market, followed by a walk through the surrounding neighbourhood (one of Pests most vibrant) and visits to several more venues.
TasteYou will have several tastings at the market, including a variety of local cheeses, cured meats, and pickled vegetables. Afterwards there will be a shared meal of traditional dishes, a tasting of several cakes, and one to two more tastings (depending on the day). Drinks which will be tasted include Unicum and three nice Hungarian wines. Come hungry, and dont bother to make lunch plans afterwards.
Inclusions for Budapest Culinary Walk
- English-speaking, food-specialized guide
- Bottled water
- Generous food and drink tastings (enough for lunch)
- Tour includes visits to the Central Market Hall and four to five additional venues
- Many stops for photos, questions and occasional food shopping
Exclusions for Budapest Culinary Walk
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
This tour is available year-round (with the exception of Sundays and national holidays). If you would like to book a tour for a Sunday, please look for our "Budapest Culinary Walk - Sunday Edition" listing
This is a small-group tour (minimum of 2 guests and maximum of 8 guests)
For larger groups please choose the "Group Tour (min. 8 pers.)" option when booking
If you would prefer a private tour (which can be customized), please choose the "Private Tour" option when booking
Though there will be plenty of eating breaks, be prepared to cover a lot of ground on your feet during this tour. This tour is not wheelchair accessible
Dietary Requirements: We try our very best to cater for dietary requirements but due to local food customs we cannot guarantee that this will be possible in all cases. Options for vegetarians, guests with allergies and religious dietary restrictions may be very limited
Minimum numbers of 2 apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Etyek Wine Country Tour with Dinner from Budapest
- Hungarian Wine Tasting with Cheese and Charcuterie in Budapest
- Szentendre Half Day Sightseeing Trip from Budapest
- Private Budapest Communist Heritage Tour - Life Behind The Iron Curtain
- Hungarian Folk Performance in Budapest
- Private Jewish Budapest Tour with a Jewish Tour Guide from a Holocaust Survival Family
- Budapest Private Walking City Tour With An Art Historian Guide
- Budapest Szechenyi Spa Entrance with VIP Massage