Calchaquí Valley And Cafayate Winery Day Trip From Salta
OverviewDiscover the many ways Mother Nature blessed Argentinas Salta province on this day trip that combines spectacular scenery with delicious wine. Youll head south of Salta city into the Calchaqu Valley, known for its array of gorges, rivers, mountains and valleys. Stop at dramatic rock formations like Devils Throat, and then visit the wine town of Cafayate, where youll tour a neighboring winery and enjoy a tasting of varietals like malbec and torronts.
Know More about this tourAfter hotel pickup by your local guide, your day trip begins by heading out of town on Route 68 toward Cafayate, about 120 miles (190 km) south of Salta. Drive through the Lerma Valley, stopping after about 90 minutes for a coffee break in Posta de las Cabras or La Via.
Continue your drive all the way down into the Calchaqu Valley (Valles Calchaques), a series of striking valleys, rivers and gorges spread across Salta and its neighboring provinces thats on UNESCOs tentative list to become a World Heritage site. Reach the villages of Talapampa and Alemania at the entrance to Quebrada de las Conchas (Gorge of the Shells), which youll drive through, stopping four times to admire its various rock formations and canyons, such as Devils Throat (Garganta del Diablo) and the Amphitheater (Amfiteatro).
Finally, arrive in Cafayate, where you have a 1-hour break to enjoy lunch. You may eat with your guide at a local restaurant reserved for the tour (restaurants vary by day), find your own restaurant on the town square or, if you brought a packed lunch with you, find a nice spot to enjoy a picnic (lunch is at your own expense). After lunch, meet back up with your guide and group to head to a local winery.
The exact winery visited on your tour varies by day; you may visit a vineyard such as Domingo Hermanos, El Trnsito or Vasija Secreta. Take a 15- to 25-minute tour of the winery, perhaps seeing the vineyards or barreling facilities, and learn about the winemaking process in Cafayate. Then enjoy a tasting of three to four wines including varietals such as torronts (the regions signature white varietal), malbec, cabernet or mistela (a dessert wine).
After your tasting, head back to Salta the way you came. Your day trip ends with hotel drop-off.
Note: If there is time, you may visit a second winery before returning to Salta.
Inclusions for Calchaquí Valley And Cafayate Winery Day Trip From Salta
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned car, van or minibus (depending on the group size)
- Local guide
- Wine tastings
Exclusions for Calchaquí Valley And Cafayate Winery Day Trip From Salta
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Minimum age to drink wine is 18 years
Children must be accompanied by an adult
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Quebrada de Humahuaca Day Trip from Salta Including Purmamarca
- Salta Super Saver: Best of Calchaqu Valley Including Cachi and Cafayate Winery Day Trips
- Salinas and Purmamarca Full Day Tour from Salta
- Day Trip Discover Humahuaca Valley from Salta
- Salta Historic Folk Walk Including a Traditional Pea
- Cachi Full Day Tour from Salta