Calchaquí Valley Scenic Drive And Day Trip To Cachi From Salta
OverviewSee the incredible natural attractions of the Calchaqu Valley on this wow-inducing day trip from Salta to Cachi! Enjoy a comfortable and scenic round-trip drive to the charming village, accompanied by a knowledgeable guide who describes the terrain along the way. From gorges to bridges to snowcapped Andean mountains, the breathtaking landscape will fill up all the space on your camera. Make several stops including the town of Payogasta until you reach Cachi, where you can explore on your own. Visit the Archeological Museum if you wish before returning to Salta via Los Cardones National Park.
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Led by a local guide
Know More about this tourYour day trip begins with hotel pickup in Salta. Settle into your seat for the 5- to 6.5-hour drive through the stunning scenery of the Calchaqu Valley and listen to your guide's informative commentary en route to Cachi. (Drive time varies depending on the weather and how long you spend at the various stops along the way).
Start by heading south through the Lerma Valley, past the towns of El Carril and Chicoana. After a 20-minute photo op at Puente Malcante (Malcante Bridge), continue along Route 33 through two gorges Quebrada de los Laureles and Quebrada de Escoipe where youll stop at a mirador (viewpoint) for another look with your guide.
Stop again at Cuesta del Obispo (Bishops Slope), a viewpoint on a curvy road with panoramic vistas of the corn fields and fruit trees of the Enchanted Valley, before reaching Piedra del Molino (Millstone), a rock landmark 11,100 feet (3,384 meters) above sea level your highest point on the trip. Enjoy another 20- to 30-minute break to soak up the spectacular mountain views, and then continue to a point overlooking the Nevado de Cachi, a range of snowcapped mountains.
In the town of Payogasta you have a 1-hour break to enjoy lunch at a local restaurant (own expense) or eat your packed lunch if you brought one with you. Finally, arrive in the village of Cachi, where you have one hour of free time to explore the village at your leisure. Admire its historical architecture, from the whitewashed adobe homes to the 16th-century church, a National Historic Monument, and visit the Archeological Museum (Museo Arqueolgico) to see its collection of artifacts from this region, some dating back 10,000 years (optional; entrance at own expense).
Afterward, meet up with your guide for the return drive to Salta. The approximate 3.5- to 4-hour route takes you through Los Cardones National Park (Parque Nacional Los Cardones), which youll cross via the Recta del Tin Tin, a 7.5-mile (12-km) stretch of straight road, whose exact origins are unknown. Many believe that the Incas built the original thoroughfare, which lies at an elevation of 9,800 feet (3,000 meters), using a series of fires to create the alignment. Stop for about 20 minutes, and then continue back to Salta, where your day trip ends with hotel drop-off.
Inclusions for Calchaquí Valley Scenic Drive And Day Trip To Cachi From Salta
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned car, van or minibus (depending on the group size)
- Local guide
Exclusions for Calchaquí Valley Scenic Drive And Day Trip To Cachi From Salta
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks (you may bring a packed lunch or purchase lunch during the tour)
- Entrance fee to the museum in Cachi: approx 1 USD (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
It is recommended that you wear comfortable clothes and shoes and bring a hat, sunglasses and sunblock
Note: The region of Salta sits at an elevation that reaches a high point of 11,100 feet, which may cause altitude sickness for some; it is recommended that you drink plenty of hot tea or water prior to the tour and carry any necessary medication
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Shared Arrival Transfer: Martn Miguel de Gemes International Airport to Salta Hotels
- Full Day Tour to Cafayate
- Full-Day Tour Salinas Grandes, Purmamarca and More from Salta
- Underground Rivers and Mountain Trekking Tour from Salta
- Day Trip to Cachi and Calchaqu Valleys from Salta
- Yungas and El Rey National Park 4x4 Full Day Tour from Salta