Canadian Badlands Day Trip From Calgary
OverviewDiscover hoodoo rock formations and dinosaur fossils in the Canadian Badlands of Alberta. On this day trip by coach from Calgary, travel through the lunar landscapes of Drumheller, known as the Dinosaur Capital of the World, and visit Horseshoe Canyon. Walk a pedestrian suspension bridge built for coal miners, and learn about the regions unusual geology from a guide. At the world-class Royal Tyrrell Museum, chat with scientists about how fossils are collected and assembled, and even stumble upon a few dino bones on a guided trail.
Know More about this tourMeet your guide and board your air-conditioned coach near Calgary Tower for your day trip to the Canadian Badlands of Alberta. Traveling east, take in views of expansive golden prairies before the landscape shifts to Drumhellers striated hills and hoodoo rock formations.
Forming over millions of years, these fragile sandstone pillars capped with large stones stand anywhere from 16 to 23 feet (5 to 7 meters) tall. Find out from your guide about where the name hoodoo comes from, and which indigenous tribes regard them as petrified giants that attack intruders at night.
Disembark for views of Horseshoe Canyon, one of Drumhellers most popular sights, and learn about its geology, history, and native plants and animals at the Interpretative Centre.
Next, head to the town of Drumheller, aka Dinosaur Capital of the World, and visit Royal Tyrrell Museum, home to 130,000 fossils of more than 300 different species, many of them dinosaurs. Weave through impressive exhibits and watch scientists assemble a raptor skeleton. You'll receive a behind-the-scenes look at what happens to fossils after theyre unearthed from the nearby UNESCO World Heritage site of Dinosaur Provincial Park.
Want to find fossils yourself? Try the museums Dinosite tour (own expense), a guided 2-mile (3-km) walk on hilly terrain through the badlands, where youll spot dinosaur bones in the ground and learn about ancient Alberta.
After time for lunch (own expense) at the museum, leave Drumheller and head to the Atlas Coal Mine for a guided tour of Canada's most complete historic coal mine. Home to the country's last standing wooden coal tipple, this national site gives insight into the dirty, and sometimes deadly, work of coal miners before returning to Calgary.
Inclusions for Canadian Badlands Day Trip From Calgary
- Professional guide
- Admission to Royal Tyrrell Museum
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
Exclusions for Canadian Badlands Day Trip From Calgary
- Optional Dinosite Tour at Royal Tyrrell Museum (USD 10 per person, paid directly)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.