Cape Town History TourWrite a Review
This full day guided history tour of Cape Town gives you an incredibleÂ overview of the rich and sometimes turbulent heritage of the Cape. It involves a few museums and visits to different parts in and out of the city as well as a visit to the historic Groot Constantia wine estate right outside the city. Your private, local guide will share his or her little secrets, relevant and interesting facts and hidden gems along the way.
- Flexibility to customize your itinerary to your own preferences
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
- Get inside tips from a local
- Step back in time on a history tour
Know More about this tour
Begin the day with a stroll through the Company Gardens, where youâll learn about the role the Dutch East India Company played in developing Cape Town and how their influence lives on today.
Cape Town was established by the Dutch in the 1600âs to refuel the passing ships on the trade route from Europe to the East, more commonly know as the Spice Route.
Take a visit to theÂ Slave Lodge museum, which showcases a darker side of how the Cape was used as a trading post for slaves, predominantly from Java, Indonesia, Malaysia and the east. This isÂ an important aspect of the history of the Cape that gives insight into the current makeup of the population of Cape Town. Discover what a big influence these people had on the local cuisine and culture.
Your next stop is the District Six Museum which takes us back to a time when there was a thriving community in the centre of Cape Town. The District 6 community was forcibly removed by the Apartheid government and relocated to designated areas outside the city.
Next, head on over to the Bo-Kaap and explore the streets lined with the famous colourful housesÂ andÂ meet some ofÂ the animated locals going about their day. DiscoverÂ spice shops and little local stores tucked away on the back streets before visiting the Bo-Kaap Museum.
On your way to Groot Constantia Wine Estate in the Constantia wine valley, your guide will tell you the story of the Quagga. This extinct half zebra half horse has been revived using DNA from a Quagga in a museum.Â
Once you arrive at historic Groot Constantia, you will taste the delicious wines that make the region famous worldwide. Learn about the importance of the wine industry to the South African economy and its role in the heritage of the Cape. Wine was first made in the Cape in 1659 as part of the ârefuellingâ station for theÂ thirsty sailors. This historical time frame makes Cape Town the oldest of the New World wine regions.
Finally, make your way all the way around the base of Table Mountain on the way home via Hout Bay and Camps Bay. Stop for a picture perfect moment as you watch the sun set over the ocean from the winding coastal road, perhaps even stopping for a sunset cocktail at one of the many swanky bars on the Camps Bay strip.
Inclusions for Cape Town History Tour
- Pickup and drop-off from your accommodation in and around Cape Town
- Private driver guide
- Entrance fees
- 1 wine tasting
Exclusions for Cape Town History Tour
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Minimum drinking age is 18 years
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.