Caracol With Rio Frio Cave And Big Rock Falls From San Ignacio
OverviewEmbark on a journey that takes you into the sleeping and burial grounds of ancient Maya royalty.Caracol, which means snail in Spanish, is the largest Maya site in Belize covering about 75 square miles. Occupied around 1200 BC, but its epicenter was not populated until around 650 BC, and was abandoned in approximately 950 AD, with the entire site abandoned by 1050 AD.Caana (meaning sky palace), the main pyramid at Caracol, houses 4 palaces and 3 temples and remains the tallestbuilding in modern Belize, with a height of approximately 141 feet. After your tour of Caracol Temples, you will visit the Rio Frio Cave & Big Rock Falls on your way back through the Mountain Pine Ridge National Reserve.
Know More about this tour
Your adventure begins from 7:00 a.m with a 2-hour drive on a wildlife-rich road through the Mountain Pine Ridge. Many claim to have seen
jaguars and tapirs on the way. The Road to Caracol is an adventure in its own!
Upon arrival at the site, your guide explains its history as he walks you through historical pictures and findings at the on-site museum.
Thereafter, its off to explore the ancient temples. Try to contain your excitement and listen to your guide while he explains the various structures purposes and the stories in the several stelae. Feel free to climb to the very top of Caana, the tallest temple. You will certainly be awestruck!
When our exploration is done, you head to the park where lunch is served. Then head back into the Mountain Pine Ridge with
the option of stopping for a refreshing dip at thebeautiful Big Rock Falls.
On your way back from Caracol, you'll make a stop at Rio Frio Cave & Big Rock Falls in the Mountain Pine Ride.
RIO FRIO CAVE:Two massive 65ft entryways make it extra accessible and creates natural lighting inside. Huge stalactites hang from its massive cathedral-like vault room sized boulders on the ground where a stream flows through, forming pools with cascading falls.
Difficulty level:Easy to Moderate
BIG ROCK FALLS:Deep in the escarpment of the Mountain Pine Ridge, Big Rock Falls is another of the areas waterfall treasures. The tremendous view of water rushing over the huge 150-ft rock formations and plummeting into the deep perfectly round pool at its base provides a rush of excitement. You wont regret stopping by to take a nice cold swim, which you will definitely enjoy regardless if you are on your own, with someone or with your family.
Departure:After having visited each site, well proceed onto making our way out of the Mountain Pine Ridge and back into San Ignacio, arriving around 4:00PM (depending on your individual pace).
. After an adventurous ride and a short hike down a steep path, you arrive at one of the most secluded and relaxing destinations with an amazing waterfall and natural pool for a refreshing dip.
Inclusions for Caracol With Rio Frio Cave And Big Rock Falls From San Ignacio
- Entrance fees
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- GST (Goods and Services Tax)
- National Park fees
- Bottled water
- All activities
- Free Hotel pick up and drop off for hotels within San Ignacio Town ONLY.
- Pick ups at hotels outside of San Ignacio will incur extra charges.
Exclusions for Caracol With Rio Frio Cave And Big Rock Falls From San Ignacio
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off for hotels outside of San Ignacio Town.
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Adult pricing applies to all travelers
Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Shared Departure Transfer: San Ignacio Hotels to Belize International Airport
- Cave Tubing and Zip line Adventure from San Ignacio
- Xunantunich and Big Rock Falls
- Belize 3 Days and 2 nights 5 tours
- Xunantunich Temples and Jungle Pontoon Waterfall Adventure
- Waterfall Horseback Ride from San Ignacio
- Jungle Pontoon Waterfall Adventure Tour
- Cave Tubing from San Ignacio