Cartago Highlights And Irazu Volcano National Park Private Tour - San Jose
OverviewEnjoy the beautiful Cartago Province with this private tour. Visit the Summit of the Irazu Volcano, the second highest summit of Costa Rica. Learn about its history and past intense volcanic activity. After it, enjoy the beautiful countryside and the Orosi Valley with it emblematic Iglesia de San jose de Orosi, which was built in 1743 and is the oldest church in the country still in use today. The church's whitewashed walls and classic Spanish-colonial architecture are a testament to the long hours and artistic dedication that went into this church's design.Continuing the journey, you will visit Las Ruinas de Ujarras.The Spanish colonial church was built between 1575 and 1580. Today, the ruins are surrounded by a beautiful garden and it is a perfect place for learning about the spanish settlements. Cachi Lake and them La Basilica de Los Angeles are part of this cultural tour.
Know More about this tour
This popular tour star with the pick up at your hotel. After it, one-hour transfer will take you to the summit of this beautiful volcano.
Iraz Volcano National Park is aNational Parkin theCentral Volcanic Conservation AreaofCosta Rica. The volcano is still active although the last major eruptions were between 1963 and 1965, with occasional minor eruptions and some small lava flows since that time.
The Crater Principal lake has an unusual greenish yellow coloring caused by rainfall dissolving the minerals along the craters walls. It has also been known to change colour to rust-red depending on the minerals present.
The name could come from either the combination of "ara" (point) and "tzu" (thunder)or a corruption ofIztar, which was the name of an indigenous village on the flanks of the volcano. In Costa Rica, it is known by the name of "El Coloso" (The Colossus) due to the catastrophes that it has provoked in the past.
The volcano's summit has several craters, one of which contains Diego de la Haya, a greencrater lakeof variable depth. At 11,260 feet (3,432 m), the Iraz Volcano is the highest active volcano in Costa Rica. It is easily visited fromSan Jos, with a road leading right up to the summit craters. From the top, it is possible to see both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans on a clear day. However, such clear days are rare, and the volcano's summit is usually cloud-covered.
The national park contains both primary and secondary montane forests and is home to armadillos, owls, rabbits, foxes, woodpeckers, and hummingbirds. Temperatures at its summit vary between 3 and 17C (37 and 63F)
Irazu volcano is astratovolcanowith a summit elevation of 3,432 metres (11,260ft). Its five craters are easily differentiated. The most important ones, because of their activity, are The Main Crater and the Diego de la Haya crater. The Main Crater is almost circular, has very inclined walls and it measures 1,050 metres (3,440ft) in diameter and 300 metres (980ft) deep. The Diego de la Haya crater is 600 metres (2,000ft) in diameter and 100 metres (330ft) deep. Other craters are Playa Hermosa, La Laguna, and El Piroclastico.
After the visit to the volcano, you will enjoy the beauty of the Orosi Valley and Town, Ujarras Ruins and Cachi Lake and its Hydroelectric Dam. Lunch included in a beautiful local restaurant before to descend to the historical City of Cartago. Here you will visit the mysterious ruins of the old Parish and view the beautiful Basilica of our "Virgen de los Angeles" with rich displays of carvings, statues and art. Return to the Hotel by 5:00 PM.
Inclusions for Cartago Highlights And Irazu Volcano National Park Private Tour
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Entrance fees
- National Park fees
- Bottled water
- Professional guide
- Hotel drop-off
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Private tour
Exclusions for Cartago Highlights And Irazu Volcano National Park Private Tour
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Gratuities (recommended)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Not wheelchair accessible
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- San Jos City Tour
- Cinco Ceibas Combo Tour 3 in 1
- Doka Estate and La Paz Waterfalls Gardens from San Jose
- Venado Caves and La Fortuna Waterfall from San Jose
- Full Day Monteverde Cloud Forest Tour from San Jose
- Celeste River from San Jose
- Half-Day Trip to Irazu Volcano and Cartago from San Jose
- Irazu Volcano, Cartago Ruins and Sarapiqui River Tour from San Jose