Monte Cassino Abbey has unjustifiably escaped the attention of many British visitors to the Sorrento area and is well worth a visit. Situated at the top of a hill it commands spectacular views over the city of Cassino. The Abbey was founded in 529BC and was looked upon as a place of holiness, culture and art for which it became renowned on a worldwide level. Steeped in history it has been destroyed and rebuilt 4 times in its 1400 years. The most recent and infamous destruction was during the 1944 battle of Monte Cassino in World War Two. Because of its strategic position it was occupied by the German forces and used as a vantage point to attack the allied forces advancing from the South of Italy. Upon leaving the Abbey we head down to visit the Commonwealth War Cemetery. Many of the soldiers who fell during the battle are buried here. This cemetery is beautifully maintained and overlooked by the Abbey. After free time for lunch there is a visit to the World War II museum. The museum offers many different exhibitions commemorating those, of all nationalities, who lost their life in the battle. Departing the museum at 03.30 pm the trip arrives back in Sorrento at approximately 5pm.
- Partial Cancellation
- Duration: 8 Hrs
Departure Details :
At 7:20 am Achille Lauro Parking Area In Via Correale.
OverviewA excursion combining a visit to this stunning abbey, the nearby war cemetery and the World War II museum.
Know More about this tour
- Local Tour Guide
- If you cancel between 0 days To 3 days before scheduled tour departure, the cancellation charge will be 100%
- If you cancel between 3 days To 180 days before scheduled tour departure, the cancellation charge will be 50%
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Capri and Blue Grotto Day Trip from Sorrento
- Capri Boat Experience from Sorrento
- Small-Group Capri Day Cruise from Sorrento
- Capri and Anacapri Day Tour from Sorrento
- Sorrento Small-Group Food Walking Tour
- Pompeii and Mt Vesuvius 4x4 Sightseeing Tour
- Pompeii and Mt Vesuvius from Sorrento
- Capri Island Tour and Grottos from Sorrento