Chambers Pillar 4WD Day Trip From Alice Springs
OverviewThe Chambers Pillar tour from Alice Springs Central Australia, is a special and rare opportunity. Visit the Simpson Desert plus Ewaninga Aboriginal rock art, Ooraminna & Maryvale Cattle Stations and the Titjikala Aboriginal community art centre. This 4WD tour travels through Simpson Desert sandhills, and rugged remote mountain ranges.
- Lunch included
- Get off the beaten track in a 4x4
- Ideal choice for families
- Small group ensures personal service
Know More about this tourThe 4WD route takes you via deserted Old Ghan Railway sidings and towns to Maryvale Cattle Station for morning tea. This route is where the Afghan camel trains traveled to supply Alice Springs from Adelaide until 1929, when the Old Ghan railway was completed. The Old Ghan was replaced by a more western new Ghan line in 1980. At Maryvale community store, Aboriginal artworks from the neighboring Titjikala community are available to purchase.
Heading west, cross the Hugh River and arrive at a lookout on Charlotte Range where you can see the Simpson Desert and Chambers Pillar standing high in the distance a great photo opportunity.
Over the sand hills you go, and as you approach Chambers Pillar it is like entering wonderland, as you are surrounded by ancient castle like structures that dominate the landscape.
Stop at a beautiful shaded camp area at Chambers Pillar nature reserve for lunch. Here you can walk around the pillar for the best photo angles, and climb the base of the pillar, as did the earliest explorers to this area. The harder sandstones of Chambers Pillar were formed when this region was under the ocean, enabling this outstanding form to survive in this harsh environment.
The pillars first white visitor was explorer John McDouall Stuart in 1860, funded by James Chambers of Adelaide. Many early explorers inscribed their marks, and the pillar was an important landmark used by later explorers, including the builders of the Overland Telegraph Line.
Afternoon tea is in Ooraminna Station Homestead, a film set for " The Drovers Boy".
Inclusions for Chambers Pillar 4WD Day Trip From Alice Springs
- National Park fees
- Afternoon tea
- Light refreshments
- Morning tea
- Hotel pickup & Drop-off
Exclusions for Chambers Pillar 4WD Day Trip From Alice Springs
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Children must be accompanied by an adult
A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- 3-Day Uluru-Kata Tjuta and Kings Canyon 4WD Small-Group Eco-Tour from Alice Springs
- Alice Springs Highlights Half-Day Tour
- Ayers Rock Day Trip from Alice Springs Including Uluru, Kata Tjuta and Sunset BBQ Dinner
- Private Tour: Half-Day West MacDonnell Ranges 4WD Tour
- 5-Day Uluru (Ayers Rock) and Kata Tjuta 4WD Camping Tour
- Alice Springs Quad Bike Undoolya Discovery Tour