Discover the mystery and allure of Chichen Itza, the ancient capital of the Mayan Empire, on a full-day tour from Playa del Carmen. At this UNESCO World Heritage site, marvel at the architectural wonder of the Kukulcan Pyramid, see the great ball court and learn about Mayan ceremonial customs. Before reaching Chichen Itza, swim at a nearby cenote, a deep natural well of clear water. End your tour with Mayan cuisine at a buffet lunch while enjoying a traditional folk dance performance.
- Day trip (destination A to B)
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Led by a local guide
- All entrance fees included
Know More about this tourComplete your stay in Playa del Carmen with a visit to Chichen Itza, the most important archaeological zone on the Yucatan Peninsula. Explore the ancient Mayan city and leave in awe after setting eyes on the extraordinary architectural feats and learning about the mythological lore.
Before Chichen Itza, stop at either the Ikil cenote . The cenotes, Mayan for 'collapsed cave,' are natural sinkholes in the limestone plateau that today offer unique swimming spots with sunlight streaming down from above. Note the lush vegetation growing all around as you make your way down the stairs to reach the cenote and admire the clear, deep water full of fish. You’ll have time to frolic in this natural wonder, so make sure to bring along your swimsuit and towel.
Then head to Chichen Itza! Inside, you’ll be separated into smaller groups for a 1.5-hour tour, during which a certified guide shares the wondrous secrets of this Mayan city.
Admire the Kukulcan Pyramid, also called El Castillo, believed to have been built based on astronomical studies. This four-sided structure contains exactly 365 steps, the number of days in the solar year. Then peer over the sacred cenote, a sinkhole Mayans viewed as a gateway to the afterlife and used as a site for sacrificial offerings.
Walk across the enormous ball court, where the Mayans held athletic events. If the reliefs covering the walls of the court provide any indication, the Mayans took their sports seriously: the sculpted murals show the victor holding the decapitated head of an unlucky member of the team that lost.
At the conclusion of the guided tour, wander the grounds of Chichen Itza at your own pace. Be sure to visit the lesser-known but still very well-preserved temples.
After exploring the site, enjoy a buffet lunch at a local restaurant that includes fresh salads, soups, rice, meat, chicken, fish, vegetables and other regional dishes (drinks at own expense). After lunch, you'll be transported back to your hotel in Playa del Carmen.
Inclusions for Chichen Itza Day Trip From Playa Del Carmen
- Certified guide
- Brief visit to colonial Valladolid
- Entrance fee to Chichen Itza archaeological site
- Bottled water upon arrival at Chichen Itza
- Buffet lunch with one flavored softdrink
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Visit to cenote
Exclusions for Chichen Itza Day Trip From Playa Del Carmen
- Gratuities (optional)
- Optional drinks
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Children ages 3 years and under are free, but seats are subject to availability; they may have to ride on parents' laps if seats are not available
Operated by a multilingual guide
It is recommended that you wear or bring comfortable lightweight clothing, walking shoes or sneakers, a hat, sunglasses, biodegradable sunblock, a swimsuit, towel and change of dry clothing
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You might also like
- Chichen Itza And Valladolid
- Contoy And Isla Mujeres
- Coba And Mayan Encounter
- Tulum - Coba - Playa Paraiso
- TEMAZCAL - UNIQUE MAYAN RITAUL
- Xcaret Park Admission Ticket
- CoCo Bongo Playa Del Carmen Nightclub With Optional VIP Pass
- Sian Ka'an And Muyil Ruins Tour From Tulum And Playa Del Carmen
- Private Crocodile Tour From The Riviera Maya
- Private Luxury Boat Tour