Chichicastenango Market Day Tour From Panajachel
OverviewThis full day tour takes you to Guatemalas most famous market.This market is a traditional indigenous Quiche market, and includes a walk to the cemetery and Paschal Abaj, the Shaman Hill. You are likely to witness a sacred Fire Cleansing Ceremony conducted by a Mayan shaman. Learn about the Mayan story of creation, the Mayan ceremony, the base-20 counting system, and the 5,000 year-old Mayan calendar. Even visit the Mayor's office.
- Great overview and orientation of the city
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
Know More about this tourVisit Guatemalas most famous market. This market is a traditional Quiche market, and includes a walk to the cemetery and Paschal Abaj, the Shaman Hill.
Your English speaking guide will show you the best sites and explain the meaning behind the murals; including the Mayan story of creation, the Mayan ceremony, the base-20 counting system, and the 5,000 year-old Mayan calendar. Learn about the confradia system and how it helps keep the traditions, both Catholic and Mayan, and even visit the mayors office!
Add on a side trip to the Mayan site Utatalan/Kumarcaaj. An ancient cave and Maya ruins wait for you at only minutes from Santa Cruz del Quiche where several small Mayan temples remain semi buried.
Only one is fully visible and complete, but darkened by the fire local people use for their ceremonies.
A small museum tells the story of this city, Mayan mythology, and the Spanish conquest. The main plaza of Kumarcaaj or -Utatlan- is the scene of frequent religious Mayan rituals. Explore a hidden tunnel or cave, considered to be a portal to the Lords of the Earth.
The rings of fire show traces of religious rituals at the entrance as on the inside. Some locals will say it was connected to other cave systems miles away from Utatlan.
Take your headlamp if you want to explore the cave.
Inclusions for Chichicastenango Market Day Tour From Panajachel
- Round-trip transport by air-conditioned minivan or coach
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (centrally located Panajachel hotels only)
Exclusions for Chichicastenango Market Day Tour From Panajachel
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (recommended)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Children must be accompanied by an adult
A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.