Celebrate the recovery of Christchurch following the 2011 earthquake, and take a trip aboard the newly reopened Christchurch Gondola. The upgraded cable car takes you on a scenic journey to the Port Hills crater rim and Mt Cavendish summit, giving you fabulous views of Christchurch's dramatically changed cityscape. See Canterbury Plains and Lyttelton Harbour unfold as you rise to the revamped summit complex, on the crater rim of Christchurch's famous extinct volcano. To see even more of Christchurch, add a Catepillar Bus Tour at the Christchurch Botanic Gardens or go punting on the Avon River.
- Instant Confirmation
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
Know More about this tourOne of Christchurch’s most popular attractions is back in action! There are frequent shuttle bus services (not included) that will take you from the city center to the gondola base station, where you start your 10-minute scenic ride on the gondola to the top of Mt Cavendish.
Take in views over the city of Christchurch, damaged but recovering from the 2011 earthquake, and see all the way to the snowcapped Southern Alps and Canterbury Plains. As you rise more than half a mile (almost a kilometer) to the crater summit, the suburbs of Christchurch recede below you and panoramic views take in Lyttelton Harbour ringed by the green Port Hills. From up here it’s easy to see how the harbor was formed by a collapsed volcanic crater.
At the summit, ride the Time Tunnel to see a video of Christchurch, its history, people and volatile geology. Enjoy a snack or meal at the newly opened Red Rock Cafe (not included), featuring a new pastry chef and menu, and browse the Shop at the Top retail experience.
Having seen Christchurch from above, see its famous trees and flowers up close by adding a tour of the Christchurch Botanic Gardens. Ride around the gardens on the electric Caterpillar shuttle, getting on and off whenever you like. Ask the knowledgeable garden staff questions about the historic gardens’ plants and landscaping as you visit the tropical greenhouse, stroll through the rose garden and hear the Peace Bell chime.
Or add a cruise on the Avon River and glide along in a punt (a flat bottomed boat). Relax as a skilled punter, traditionally dressed in straw hat and blazer, propels you past a romantic setting of boat sheds, trees and riverside paths. See ducks and ducklings float by, cruise past the lush Christchurch Botanic Gardens, and be prepared for all weather with blankets and umbrellas provided.
Inclusions for Christchurch Gondola Ride
- Round-trip Christchurch Gondola Ride ticket
- Caterpillar Botanic Garden tour (if option selected at time of booking)
- 30-minute Avon River punt ride (if option selected at time of booking)
Exclusions for Christchurch Gondola Ride
- Transport to/from the attractions
- Food and drinks
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Please dress warmly and wear comfortable shoes
Please Note: This product does not include the Gondola Restaurant. Please make Restaurant arrangements separately, prior to your departure date
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.