Churchill War Rooms And Westminster WWII Tour - London
OverviewA treat for the history buffs, this tour takes you to the Churchill War Rooms, in hidden bunkers underground, where the prime minister was known to plan and plot the downfall of Hitler. The expert guide will also fill you in with the stories and tales behind the Big Ben, Palace of Westminster, 10 Downing Street etc. Here interesting stories about the place, along with the tales of the personal sacrifice stories of the prime minister and how he planned it all with his trusted aides.
- This City Wonders exclusive takes you to the Churchill War Rooms.
- Our expert guide will also give you the stories behind Westminster, 10 Downing Street, Big Ben, and Houses of Parliament.
- Explore a hidden, underground bunker as well.
Know More about this tour
World War II was a difficult time in London. A time when rations were scarce and Nazi bombing split families, sending unaccompanied children to shelter with guardians in the countryside. As the people of London struggled to stay alive, their leader Winston Churchill battened down the hatches. He took his most trusted cabinet ministers and assistants to a secret bunker under the treasury, where they set up planning rooms wallpapered with maps and carefully planned the downfall of Hitler.
Learn about some of the most important events in recent history and hear stories of great personal sacrifice and triumph on our Churchill War Rooms tours. We combine guided Westminster tours with a visit to Churchill War Rooms to give you a taste of what life was like in London during World War II. With an expert local guide on hand throughout (specially chosen for their passion and knowledge of this fascinating time), you’ll travel through the political heart of London getting acquainted with one of its most controversial leaders and with the personal stories that bring history to life.
We start with a guided walking tour of Westminster. Here you’ll explore British politics at 10 Downing Street and hear an introduction to Winston Churchill, a coarse man who inspired love and hatred in equal measures. Your guide will tell you about his close relationship with President Roosevelt and about how the two leaders worked closely together to defeat Hitler. You’ll see Westminster Abbey, the iconic clock at Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament and the Cenotaph – the national monument for victims of war.
During WWII this was one of the most heavily bombed areas of the city – and for good reason.
Westminster was the base for the exiled government and its spies, who gathered here to plot the overthrow of Hitler and his fascist allies. We’ll take you to the heart of this underground world when you visit the Churchill War Rooms.
Left exactly as they were in 1945, with pots still on stoves, maps hung on walls, and beds made up and ready for Churchill and his ministers, these corridors offer a glimpse into that tense time. You’ll use the official audio guide to hear speeches by Churchill and personal testimonials from those who worked here. You’ll see original furnishings like the special sun lamps they used to ensure that they got enough Vitamin D and the meeting rooms where D-Day was planned.
You'll learn about the the men and women who risked their lives to work here, patching through transatlantic calls to President Roosevelt and carefully plotting the routes of the Allied forces. Of course the biggest character in this story is Prime Minister Winston Churchill.
Using the fantastic interactive displays at the Churchill Museum – including video excerpts, original radio broadcasts, newspaper caricatures, and testimonials – your expert guide will teach you all about the man behind the overthrow of Hitler. Famous for his inspirational (and often irreverent) speeches, Churchill is a man whose words you won’t soon forget.
With small groups of only 20 people or fewer and an expert guide, our Churchill War Rooms tours will be intimate and unhurried and your guide easy to interact with. Travel back to another time in London’s history and get acquainted with the men and women who helped to shape, not just the course of this city, but the world as we know it today.
Inclusions for Churchill War Rooms And Westminster WWII Tour
- An entertaining walking tour of Westminster in which wartime London is brought to life
- Admission and audio guide at the Churchill War Rooms, the beating heart of Her Majesty’s Government during the war
- Expert local guide to share the stories and history of these sights
- Small groups of only 20 people or fewer
- If you cancel between 0 hrs To 24 hrs before scheduled tour departure, the cancellation charge will be 100%
- If you cancel between 1 days To 180 days before scheduled tour departure, the cancellation charge will be 0%
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Independent Layover Tour to Windsor from London Gatwick or Heathrow Airport
- Paranormal Activity Investigation Walking Tour in London
- Private Guided Tour of Residential London
- Small-Group Day Trip to Stonehenge, Bath and Windsor from London
- Arrival or Departure Private Transfer: London Heathrow Airport to Bath
- Private Tour: Stonehenge Tour from London in a Chauffeured Range Rover