Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro : Machame Route - Arusha
OverviewTrek Mount Kilimanjaro through Machame Route the most beautiful route up Kilimanjaro. All your equipment and supplies are portered and a cook prepares all your meals. Machame (also referred to as the "Whiskey route") better suited to the slightly more adventurous hiker, however rewarding him with a scenic splendour such as not seen on the Marangu route. From late afternoon sunsets at Shira, to the misty revelations of Kibo at the great Barranco Wall, the Machame route offers the adventurous hiker a stunning scenic "slide show" over 6 days. The Machame route is normally completed in a minimum of 6 days. There is an added benefit to this, as you are afforded the most valuable commodity on the mountain - acclimatisation. The Machame route takes you high to Lava Tower (4630m) on the day 3 and brings you down by nearly 700m for an overnight at Barranco camp (3950m). This is the secret to successful acclimatization.
Know More about this tour
DAY 1: Machame Gate to Machame Camp, Elevation: 5,380 ft to 9,350 ft
The drive from your Moshi Hotel to the Machame Gate . The journey passes through the village of Machame which is located on the lower slopes of the mountain. As we leave the park gate, we walk through the dense rain forest on a winding trail up a ridge until we reach the Machame Camp.
DAY 2: Machame Camp to Shira 2 Camp, Elevation: 9,350 ft to 12,500 ft
We leave the glades of the rain forest and continue on an ascending path up to a steep, rocky ridge. On the Shira Plateau, we pass through heather and open moorlands, then cross a large river gorge to Shira 2 Camp.
DAY 3: Shira 2 Camp to Lava Tower, Elevation: 12,500 ft to 15,190 ft
We continue to the east up a ridge and then head southeast towards the Lava Tower a 300 ft tall volcanic rock formation. We descend down to Barranco Camp through the strange but beautiful Senecio Forest to an altitude of 13,000 ft. Although you begin and end the day at the same elevation, the time spent at higher altitude is very beneficial for acclimatization.
DAY 4:Barranco Camp to Karanga Camp
We begin the day by descending into a ravine to the base of the Great Barranco Wall. Then we climb the non-technical but steep, nearly 900 ft cliff. From the top of the Barranco Wall we cross a series of hills and valleys until we descend sharply into Karanga Valley. One more steep climb up leads us to Karanga Camp. This is a shorter day meant for acclimatization.
DAY 5: Karanga Camp to Barafu Camp
We leave Karanga and hit the junction which connects with the Mweka Trail. We continue up to the rocky section to Barafu Hut. At this point, you have completed the Southern Circuit, which offers views of the summit from many different angles. Here we make camp, rest and enjoy an early dinner to prepare for the summit day. The two peaks of Mawenzi and Kibo are viewable from this position.
DAY 6: Barafu Camp to Uhuru Peak
Barafu to Uhuru Peak The last day will be a really early beginning for the summit, probably 00:00 am, passing through the Ratzel and Rebmann glaciers to the Highest point of Africa Uhuru Peak 5,896m above the sea level. After relaxing, watching the sun rise and taking memorable pictures, start descending to the Mweka Hut and spend overnight there.
DAY 7: Mweka Camp to Mweka Gate
Mweka Hut - Mweka Gate to the Hotel After breakfast descend to Mweka Gate and drive away to your local accommodation for dinner & overnight.
Inclusions for Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro : Machame Route
- 6 nights accommodation
- Entrance fees
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Meals as per itinerary (B=breakfast, L=lunch, D=dinner)
- Professional guide
- Local guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Small-group tour
- Walking tour
Exclusions for Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro : Machame Route
- Gratuities (recommended)
- Souvenir photos (available to purchase)
- Gloves, Sun glasses, Sleeping bag, Hats , Rain suits, Warm Jacket, Heavy boots, Scarf's, Rain Trousers.Price is exclusive of First and last Night accomodation inArusha
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Not recommended for pregnant women
Not recommended for participants with back problems
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Mount Kilimanjaro Climb - Tanzania
- Tanzania Family Adventure Safari - 15 Days
- 3-Day Safari Tour to Ngorongoro Crater from Arusha
- 7-Day Safari to Ngorongoro, Serengeti and Lake Manyara from Arusha
- Full-Day Safari in Tarangire National Park
- Full Day To Arusha National Park
- 2 Days Short Safaris- - Lake Manyara Or Tarangire and Ngorongoro Crater
- 5-Day National Park Safari in Tanzania