OverviewLeave the beaches of Playa del Carmen and discover Coba, an ancient Mayan city in the jungle. Explore this large archeological site, scamper up the tallest pyramid on the Yucatan Peninsula and admire panoramic views. Plus, learn the history and culture of Coba from a professional guide. Afterward, visit a Mayan village and restaurant, and swim at a beautiful cenote. In just one tour, you'll enjoy a history lesson, fun exercise and delicious food!
Know More about this tourBegin your day with hotel pickup from Playa del Carmen and head to Coba, located in northern Quintana Roo on the Yucatan Peninsula.
As you explore the ruins of this city built around five lakes within the dense jungle, you can’t help but feel a little like Indiana Jones. The majority of Coba’s 6,500 structures, covering roughly 43 square miles (70 square km), has not been excavated or restored. The largest pre-Columbian settlement of the Classic Period, 600 to 900 AD, Coba was believed to be home to 50,000 inhabitants. Archeological evidence suggests that Coba played a vital role in trade with other regional Mayan communities, especially with settlements along the Caribbean coast.
Spend approximately two hours wandering through Coba with a professional guide or investigating the ruins on your own. To cover more ground quickly, jump on a bicycle or a pedicab (own expense) and ride around the network of sacbe, wide white stone and plaster roads, stopping along the way to look at carved stone tablets and hieroglyphic texts.
Alternatively, head straight to Nohoch Mul, the tallest pyramid on the Yucatan Peninsula, soaring 140 feet (42 meters) above the rainforest floor. Make your way to the top and take in 360-degree views of lush green jungle.
Your amateur archeological exploration of Coba complete, it’s time to relax and enjoy an authentic Yucatecan lunch (provided) at a local restaurant. After lunch, stop at a Mayan village and interact with the native residents, who will share with you their culture, traditions and history.
Complete your day trip with a refreshing swim at a stunning cenote, a natural sinkhole of deep clear water, before being transported back to your hotel.
Inclusions for Coba Ruins Day Trip From Playa Del Carmen
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Light refreshments
- Local guide
- Entrance fees
Exclusions for Coba Ruins Day Trip From Playa Del Carmen
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.