See Ancient Rome and the Colosseum by night on this exciting 2.5-hour evening tour, led by an expert local guide! Hear little-known facts about the Roman Forum’s ruins as you look at it from a vantage point at Piazza del Campidoglio, and then gain rare access to the Colosseum after dark, walking around its arena floor and underground chambers. Taking place when the city’s daytime crowds have dispersed and the balmy temperature has dropped, your tour is perfectly timed to see these word-class monuments at their bedazzling best.
Numbers are limited to 25 on this small-group tour ensuring you’ll see these top Rome attractions with personalized attention from your guide.
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Likely to Sell Out
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
- See the sights illuminated at night
- Skip the line
- Small-group tour
Know More about this tourMeet your guide in the early evening at Piazza Venezia in central Rome, and set off on your leisurely paced evening walking tour. Stroll past Trajan’s Column, the triumphal column that was built to celebrate a Dacian War victory, and head to Capitoline Hill to visit Piazza del Campidoglio – a lavish 16th-century square designed by the Renaissance supremo Michelangelo.
The Roman Forum is closed at night, but your guide will lead you to a little-known vantage point in Piazza del Campidoglio that offers a perfect vista of the site. Watch the soft evening light set on the city’s ancient monuments, seeing all the notable ruins, like the Sanctuary of Vestal Virgins – a temple that was once home to Rome’s most revered women.
See Caesar’s and Augustus’ forums as you walk down the hill, and then stop outside the highlight of your tour – the Colosseum. Basking in its Roman-era glory, the city’s undisputed A-list attraction is virtually empty at this time of night, leaving the ancient structure filled with shadows rather than shuffling feet. Walk around the reconstructed arena floor, and stand in the space where battles were once fought, while hearing all the little-known details of the gladiator games from your guide. Little of the original arena floor still exists, but the gaps in the surface offer a great vantage point to the underground levels below.
Then, head below ground to see the chambers for yourself, working your way through the tunnels where gladiators and beasts walked before being hoisted to the arena floor via trap doors. Few visitors to the Colosseum get to walk through these chambers, as they are only open to a limited number of people per day; even better, you’ll be one of a very select few to see the chambers at night, making this visit even more exciting.
After exploring the Colosseum’s darkened corners with your guide, your tour ends outside the monument.
Inclusions for Colosseum And Ancient Rome Tour By Night
- Local guide
- Colosseum entrance ticket
- Headsets when appropriate, so you can always hear your guide
Exclusions for Colosseum And Ancient Rome Tour By Night
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
Tour involves a fair amount of walking, hills, and stairs; comfortable shoes are recommended
Unfortunately wheelchair users or customers requiring special assistance cannot be accommodated on this tour. Strollers can also not be taken on the tour
Important: Please note that large bags/backpacks/suitcases are not permitted in the Colosseum and Roman Forum. Only very small bags are allowed. Please do not bring these items with you on the day of your tour as there are no cloakrooms at the Colosseum
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.