Communist Budapest Tour: Life Under Communism
OverviewFor almost half of the 20th century, Russias Soviet leaders controlled the Hungarian government, and traces of these decades under communism are still visible throughout the capital city. Meet an experienced guide who lived during the communist era to learn what everyday life was really like in Budapest at that time, from first-hand tales of navigating Kafkaesque bureaucracy to adventurous descriptions of the black-market economy. After the introductory discussion, participants are taken on a walking tour to highlight relics of the communist era still visible around the city today.
- Get inside tips from a local
- Fully narrated tour
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
Know More about this tourExperience Hungarys era under communism through firsthand stories told by experienced Hungarian guides who lived through the days when Budapest was under direct Kremlin control. From everyday tales of difficulty with procuring bananas to extraordinary descriptions of communist party parades, learn about the real experiences of Hungarians during these surreal times with this 2-hour talk and tour.
Participants meet their guide at Budas Bambi Pressz caf considered by many as the last city stronghold of communist catering culture and are encouraged to ask questions about life under the communist regime.
Following the introductory session, the tour provides a first-hand picture of how the communist system worked for normal people living in Budapest, including what life was like then and how the collapse of communism left an imprint on Hungarians and Budapest, much of which is still visible even today.
Along with learning about the local experience and witnessing the traces of communism left in several Budapest sightseeing destinations, participants will gain a deeper understanding about life throughout the Eastern Bloc.
Inclusions for Communist Budapest Tour: Life Under Communism
- Souvenir pen
- Informative handouts
- Coffee or a soft drink
- Local guide
Exclusions for Communist Budapest Tour: Life Under Communism
- Additional food and drink
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Gratuities (optional)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Children must be accompanied by an adult
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Royal Sissi Tour to the Residence of Queen Elisabeth from Budapest
- Budapest Airport 30-Minute Private Arrival Transfer
- Budapest Airport 30-Minute Private Departure Transfer
- Full-Day Private Tour around Lake Balaton from Budapest by Car with lunch
- Budapest Transfer: Hotels to Budapest Airport
- Shared Arrival Transfer: Budapest Keleti Railway Station to Budapest Hotels
- Budapest Shared Transfer: Budapest Pier to Hotels
- Ruinpubs and Alternative Cultural Spots on a 3 Hours Budapest Walking Tour