OverviewDiscover the dramatic beauty of the Apurimac Canyon on an exciting full-day excursion from Cusco. Explore a fascinating natural formation twice as deep as the USAâs Grand Canyon with an experienced guide; on route visit the intriguing & little known Inka Sites of Killarumiyoq and Tarawasi and to crown your tourÂ admire the spectacular Andean Condors soaring in their natural habitat.
- Close encounter with wildlife
- Small-group tour
Know More about this tourWe leave Cusco by private transport at 8am and travel through the highlands of Anta towards the Northwest. On route we visit the intriguing Inka Sites of Killarumiyoj and Tarawasi (Temple to worship the Moon and a ceremonal platform for offerings). After passing the town of Limatambo a steep dirt road will take us over the Puna highlands with stipa grass to the scenic mountain hamlet of Chonta (3,400m / 11,154ft) near the Apurimaq Canyon.
The road journey may take around five hours all together. Once at Chonta we start a one and a half hour trek of moderate difficulty to the lookout point. With a little luck we may spot typical highland birds on the way (sometimes even parrots can be seen), whilst appreciating the pretty flora and the spectacular scenery as we approach the deep canyon. A short hike downhill takes us to the lookout point in time for a delicious picnic box lunch. We shall stay at this marvelous spot for 2-3 hours in order to wait for the condors soaring upwards, being transported by thermal winds. The majestic Andean condor (vulture gryphus) may reach up to 8,000 m in height and in Andean cosmology he is believed to transport the souls of the departed into the spirit realms. It is on the sheer cliffs further down near the river where the condors nest and roost. To watch this beautiful bird with a wing span of up to 3 m soaring to the backdrop of the breath taking canyon is an experience that may deeply touch you.
In the early afternoon we start our hike back to Chonta and drive back to Cusco arriving there around 7pm.
Inclusions for Condor Lookout Point Hike In Chonta From Cusco
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Professional guide
- Entrance fees
- Box Lunch
- Bottled water
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Exclusions for Condor Lookout Point Hike In Chonta From Cusco
- Gratuities (recommended)
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Dress code: No brilliant color clothes are allowed (red, orange and yellow are prohibited)
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Adult pricing applies to all travelers
A current valid passport is required on the day of travel
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.