Constantinople Small-Group Tour Of Istanbul With Lunch
OverviewRewind to Istanbuls days as Constantinople on an 8-hour tour of the citys Byzantine churches and monasteries. With a guide, explore the Christian sanctuaries built during the Byzantine Empire. See the glittering mosaics and frescoes of Chora Church now Kariye Museum and view the church-turned-mosque sites of Pantocrator and Pammakaristos. Explore palatial ruins and more as your guide brings them to life with historical commentary. Lunch at a restaurant is included and numbers are limited to 15 for a personal experience.
- Fully narrated tour
- All entrance fees included
- Get inside tips from a local
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
Know More about this tour
Begin your small-group tour with a pickup from your centrally located Istanbul hotel. Aboard your air-conditioned minivan, learn about Istanbul when it was Constantinople, capital of the Byzantine and Ottoman Empires.
Stop at the Sarachane district on the citys European side to stroll around the ruins of the 6th-century St Polyeuktos church, once one of Constantinoples most significant Christian places of worship. Admire its carved remnants, and then make your way to the 12th-century Church of the Pantocrator, another important Constantinople landmark. View this former monastery church, now a mosque, and its age-old cistern, as you hear about its history.
Continue to Pammakaristos Church, now converted into the Fethiye Mosque. The 12th-century place of worship is home to a glorious collection of Byzantine mosaics in its funerary chapel. Visit the ruined Monastery Chapel of St John the Forerunner, Istanbuls oldest remaining church, and then enjoy a 2-course lunch at a local restaurant. Dishes often change, but typically the meal consists of soup or salad to start, followed by a meat dish with eggplant.
Chora Church, or the Church of the Holy Saviour in Chora, is next, so head inside to see some more of Istanbuls exquisite mosaics and frescoes. Admire intricately created pieces that depict the life of Christ and represent the pinnacle of Byzantine art at that time.
Stroll around Tekfur Palace (Palace of the Porphyrogenitus), an Imperial residence that was used until an Ottoman conquest in the 15th century. See the faade, arches and courtyards as your guide recounts how the palace once boasted vast gardens, dungeons and houses. Finally, finish your tour with a hotel drop-off.
Inclusions for Constantinople Small-Group Tour Of Istanbul With Lunch
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Professional guide
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Entrance fees
Exclusions for Constantinople Small-Group Tour Of Istanbul With Lunch
- Gratuities (optional)
- Drinks with lunch (available to purchase)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- 5 Days ANZAC Day 2016 The Digger Tour visiting Istanbul and Gallipoli
- Evening Local Food and Wine Tour In Istanbul
- Golden Horn of Istanbul Tour
- 7-Day Turkey Explorer Tour from Istanbul
- Istanbul Small Group City Tour: Blue Mosque, Hippodrome, Grand Bazaar, St Sophia and Topkapi Palace
- 5-Day Aegean Tour from Istanbul: Gallipoli, Troy, Pergamum, Ephesus, Kusadasi, Pamukkale and Hierapolis