- Mobile Voucher Accepted
- Hotel pickup Available
- Duration: 8 Hrs
Departure Time :
Departure Details :
Your Istanbul hotel
Return Details :
Returns to original departure point at approximately 6pm
Cancellation Policy : Cancel up to 2 days in advance for a full refund
OverviewRewind to Istanbuls days as Constantinople on an 8-hour tour of the citys Byzantine churches and monasteries. With a guide, explore the Christian sanctuaries built during the Byzantine Empire. See the glittering mosaics and frescoes of Chora Church now Kariye Museum and view the church-turned-mosque sites of Pantocrator and Pammakaristos. Explore palatial ruins and more as your guide brings them to life with historical commentary. Lunch at a restaurant is included and numbers are limited to 15 for a personal experience.
- Fully narrated tour
- All entrance fees included
- Get inside tips from a local
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
Know More about this tour
Begin your small-group tour with a pickup from your centrally located Istanbul hotel. Aboard your air-conditioned minivan, learn about Istanbul when it was Constantinople, capital of the Byzantine and Ottoman Empires.
Stop at the Sarachane district on the citys European side to stroll around the ruins of the 6th-century St Polyeuktos church, once one of Constantinoples most significant Christian places of worship. Admire its carved remnants, and then make your way to the 12th-century Church of the Pantocrator, another important Constantinople landmark. View this former monastery church, now a mosque, and its age-old cistern, as you hear about its history.
Continue to Pammakaristos Church, now converted into the Fethiye Mosque. The 12th-century place of worship is home to a glorious collection of Byzantine mosaics in its funerary chapel. Visit the ruined Monastery Chapel of St John the Forerunner, Istanbuls oldest remaining church, and then enjoy a 2-course lunch at a local restaurant. Dishes often change, but typically the meal consists of soup or salad to start, followed by a meat dish with eggplant.
Chora Church, or the Church of the Holy Saviour in Chora, is next, so head inside to see some more of Istanbuls exquisite mosaics and frescoes. Admire intricately created pieces that depict the life of Christ and represent the pinnacle of Byzantine art at that time.
Stroll around Tekfur Palace (Palace of the Porphyrogenitus), an Imperial residence that was used until an Ottoman conquest in the 15th century. See the faade, arches and courtyards as your guide recounts how the palace once boasted vast gardens, dungeons and houses. Finally, finish your tour with a hotel drop-off.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Professional guide
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Entrance fees
- Gratuities (optional)
- Drinks with lunch (available to purchase)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
You Might Also Like
- Explore Turkey and Egypt Tour Package 7 Days Combined Two Magical Countries
- Private Tour Istanbul Classics with Local Expert Guide
- Private Istanbul Old City Tour with Local Expert Guide
- Luxury Private Tour Of Istanbul and Cappadocia 4 Nights & 5 Days
- FULL DAY BUS & BOAT COMBO TOUR WITH DOLMABAHCE PALACE AND ASIA-KUCUKSU PALACE
- Full Day Prince's Islands Heybeli ada and Buyuk ada tour with Lunch
- Istanbul Airport Private Departure Transfer
- 2 Day Cappadocia Trip