Constantinople Tour Of Istanbul: Discovering The Byzantine Empire
OverviewDiscover the splendor of Byzantine Istanbul, the ancient city of Constantinople, on this fascinating 3-hour history tour led by an expert guide. The empire that kick-started Christianity in Turkey (around 330 AD) spawned a rich legacy of religious monuments and architecture, and youll see the best examples of these on your tour. Visit a shrine to the Holy Virgin at the Church of St Mary of Blachernae, explore the ruins of ancient Blachernae Palace, walk around the Walls of constantinople, and more!
- Hotel pickup included
- Ideal choice for families
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Instant Confirmation
Know More about this tourStart your tour with a hotel pickup, and then travel by luxury coach along the shoreline of the Golden Horn -- the Bosphorus Straits natural bay that was an important international shipping harbor during the Byzantine era.
Stop in the Greek neighborhood of Fener at the Ecumencial Orthodox Patriarchate an intriguing church compound where the ceremonial head of the Greek Orthodox Church is based. Visit the Church of St George (the sites main church) and see its Byzantine patriarchal throne, dripping with opulent ornamentation.
Continue to the historical neighborhood of Ayvansaray, known in Byzantine days as Blachernae, to see the Church of St Mary of Blachernae one of Istanbuls best-known Eastern Orthodox churches. While its exterior is nothing to shout about, the church itself is highly significant to the countrys Eastern Orthodox community with its much-celebrated status as a shrine to the Holy Virgin. Head inside to see a holy water spring.
Visit the Western District next, to see Chora Church, a spectacular Byzantine monastery. While exploring with your guide, admire its stunning mosaics that depict the life of Christ and marvel at the equally elaborate frescoes, painted in intricate detail that was way ahead of other Byzantine artwork.
Return to Ayvansaray to explore the ancient site of Blachernae Palace, and while the site is now more rubble than palace, its ruins provide an inspiring sense of its former glory. See the outside of Anemas Dungeons, learning how it was once a terrifying Byzantine prison, and then see the exterior of Tekfur Palace (or Palace of Constantine Porphyrogenitus to give it its due) the only surviving building of Blachernae Palace.
Finish with a walk around the Walls of Constantinople, seeing the remains of the ancient citys old towers and gates, and then end your tour in the Sultanahmet district in the center of town.
Inclusions for Constantinople Tour Of Istanbul: Discovering The Byzantine Empire
- Hotel pickup
- Professional guide
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
Exclusions for Constantinople Tour Of Istanbul: Discovering The Byzantine Empire
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
- Hotel drop-off
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Please note: When reconfirming your booking, your local supplier will advise you on alternative meeting points for hotels which are not accessible
A moderate amount of walking is involved
Not wheelchair accessible
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Small Group Istanbul Highlights Tour Max 8-10 people
- A Tasty Journey at Ottoman Streets
- Explore Turkey and Egypt Tour Package 7 Days Combined Two Magical Countries
- Private Tour Istanbul Classics with Local Expert Guide
- Private Istanbul Old City Tour with Local Expert Guide
- Half Day Afternoon Bosphorus & Black Sea Cruise
- Admission Ticket to Sakip Sabanci Museum
- Istanbul Gold Combo