Cooking In Ancient Greece - Chania
OverviewWould you like to try roasting meat using age-old techniques and bake bread using replicas of ancient equipment? Would you like to learn about the ancient material culture and the meaning of ancient cooking as physically experienced by the cook? The "Cooking in ancient Greece" lesson by Mariana- an experimental archaeologist - food historian, Gourmand World Cookbook Award winner- deals with the culinary legacy of the ancient Greeks, offering seductive interpretations of ancient dishes while giving a glimpse into the lives of ancient cooks. It lasts 4 hours and takes place in a 300 year old olive grove, 5 km from the city of Chania.
Know More about this tourA brief introduction to food, cooking methods and trade routes of Classical Greece will be followed by a dipping back into its cuisine.
Using Athenaeus «Deipnosophistai» * and archaeological research data as inspiration, the class will enjoy learning how to reproduce ancient Greek recipes both in modern kitchens and according to experimental archaeology.
It will focus on popular food profiles of the time using techniques, herbs and spices that are almost forgotten nowadays.
Bread baked in a replica of an ancient Greek portable oven and thrymatis, a kind of cake which when broken open reveals a small roasted bird, are only two of the delicious recipes that allow us a glimpse into the ancient Greek world.
After the cooking the team will eat what it has been prepared.
*''Deipnosophistai" is a compilation of hundreds of ancient Greek works on food, drink, manners and customs.
Inclusions for Cooking In Ancient Greece
- Bottled water
- Food tasting
- Small-group cooking class
- Cooking lesson and lunch
- All ingredients for your lesson and lunch
- Recipes & photos will be sent via e-mail.
Exclusions for Cooking In Ancient Greece
- Hotel drop-off
- Hotel pickup
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Children must be accompanied by an adult
Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Costal Cretan Villages and Asclepieion Temple Small Group Day Trip from Chania with Meal
- Crete Elafonisi Beach Day Trip with ChrissoskalitissaMonastery Visit
- Samaria Gorge Tour from Chania - The Longest Gorge in Europe
- Full Day Samaria Gorge 10-Mile Walking Tour from Chania
- Cretan Cooking & Wine Tasting
- Cook with Luxury
- Full-Day Sailing and Swimming from Chania
- The Olive Oil Experience