Copán Day Trip From Antigua
OverviewTravel to the UNESCO World Heritage-listed site of Copn, one of the most elaborate cities of the Mayan Empire, on this full-day trip from Antigua. Enjoy a relaxing drive across the Honduras border by comfortable coach and then explore the ruins on foot with an expert guide. Youll be amazed as you learn about this ancient civilization via the archeological discovery of its many temples, hieroglyphic writing system and elaborate stone monuments!
Know More about this tour
Leaving for Copn in the early morning after pickup from your Antigua hotel by your driver, board your comfortable coach for a scenic 6-hour drive. Youll stop en route for a typical Guatemalan breakfast, including beans, eggs and tortillas or bread.
After crossing the border into western Honduras with your group, youll head about 37 miles (60 km) to the countrys most significant archeological site, Copn. This ancient city, dating back to the 7th century and known as Xukpi by the Mayans, existed during the most impressive dynasty Yax Kuk Mo.
Here, meet your guide and embark on a 2-hour guided tour of the ruins as you learn about the fascinating temples, altars and stone sculptures that make it a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Your guide will point out the five main sections of the city, including the Acropolis and Great Plaza, as well as the tunnels, ball court and hieroglyphic stairway.
Step foot in the two large plazas that divide the Acropolis, which houses several important temples and altars. In the Great Plaza, take in the detailed design of the scattered stelae sculpted stone monuments 9-16 feet (3-5 meters) tall, which depict Mayan rulers throughout the citys history. Then listen as your guide explains the function of the ball court, Central Americas second largest!
Climb the 63 steps along the hieroglyphic stairway and admire the several thousand intricately carved glyphs, the longest text of the ancient Mayans ever to be discovered. You can visit the on-site museum and pore over the excavated artifacts on display, or explore the tunnels archeologists have dug under the Acropolis to view earlier stages of the vast Mayan civilization (additional fee).
Afterward, your guide will take your group to the nearby colonial town of Copn Ruins, also known as San Jose del Copn, where you can purchase lunch. Then, relax on the return to Guatemala by coach, arriving at your Antigua hotel around 7pm.
Inclusions for Copán Day Trip From Antigua
- Professional English- and Spanish-speaking guide upon arrival in Copán
- Entrance fees
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Round-trip shared transfer
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
Exclusions for Copán Day Trip From Antigua
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Border fee ($5 to $10 depending on nationality) between Guatemala and Honduras
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
A current valid passport is required on the day of travel
Please note: it is recommended you bring water
- If you cancel within 3 calendar days (72 hours) of the scheduled departure time, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel between 4 to 7 Calendar days before scheduled tour departure,the cancellation charge will be 50% of the undiscounted tour price.
- If you cancel at least 8 calendar days in advance of the scheduled departure time, there is no cancellation fee. You will receive Full Refund for the paid amount.
- Please note that in case of No show, the cancellation charge will be 100% of the listed tour fare.
- Please note tours booked using discount coupon codes will be non refundable.
You Might Also Like
- Antigua Walking Tour
- Acatenango Volcano Hike from Antigua
- Guatemala Educational Tour: Clean Water and the Environment
- Volcan de Agua Discovery Tour: Cultivate Coffee in Guatemala
- Antigua Surroundings Indigenous Villages Tour
- Casa Santo Domingo Museums Admission Ticket
- Antigua ATV Sunset Tour